Last day buck??

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
spottedskunk

Last day buck??

Postby spottedskunk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Would you take a lesser buck, that isn't a quailty buck, cause its the last day or would you eat your tag and go after that big buck next season, rather than shoot a lesser buck that can turn into something great??

If your a big buck hunter, would you eat your tag, rather than shoot a buck that isn't a trophy just to say "yeah I got a buck this year".

I rather eat a tag salad, than to kill a buck that is to young or not on my hit list.

Haywood

RE: Last day buck??

Postby Haywood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Yes I would hold off on a young buck the last day of the season. If he had made it that far through the season there is a great chance he would be around next year to grow a better set of antlers

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:03 am

Depends upon what the "lesser" buck is.

It always bothers me when people start saying things like "lesser buck" or "isn't a quality buck".  These are pretty subjective qualities, so one man's trophy may be something else another man wouldn't shoot.   And what makes a buck not a quality buck?

I'd rather here you say would you shoot a young deer with a small rack cause it's the last day of the season or would you eat your tag, then defining deer as lesser or low quality.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:30 am

I have to agree with what is a "lesser" buck?

Now as to whether I would shoot it depends. If I've gone through the season without scoring ANY deer meat for the freezer I'm going to shoot anything that is 2+ years old. Nothing says if I let that buck go he's going to be back the next year and ultimately I need meat for the freezer. It's not about trophy hunting for me so my decision would not be based on that.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:31 am

If the buck wasn't up to what I want to shoot and what I have planned for that particular property, I'd let it walk.  It's not like I'm starving...There are things called grocery stores.  Just being out there would be enough for me!
QDM!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:32 am

Happened to me...had a forkhorn jump out of a bush the last minute of the last day of winter bow..I had  already shot a doe and did not need more meat...I let him walk and was just happy to see him!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 am

Its tough to say.. Im in it for the meat, and if I havent shot at least a doe..That buck's gonna be pretty tempting..no matter the rack size... However if I have meat from a doe..Id pass on him.. ehh I guess after thinking about it,Id pass on him.. lol it was tough to make up my mind on that one, I just love the tastey meat.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:50 am

The lesser buck in my opinion is what is not on my hit list, or is under the 3 year old range. I like to hunt for old bucks, I could careless about the score, if one is lower in score, but is a very old deer, then I would shoot him. I'm not trying to get everyone's underwear in a knot here, but I like to hunt for big bucks.

Its all about the eyes of the beholder. If you think its a trophy by all means go ahead and take him.

In my opinion a old buck in the 4-5 years old is a different kind of deer. Don't make many mistakes.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

It always bothers me when people start saying things like "lesser buck" or "isn't a quality buck".  These are pretty subjective qualities, so one man's trophy may be something else another man wouldn't shoot.   And what makes a buck not a quality buck?

I'd rather here you say would you shoot a young deer with a small rack cause it's the last day of the season or would you eat your tag, then defining deer as lesser or low quality.

Agree 100 percent!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Agree 100 percent!

My opinion of a lesser buck might not be what you call a lesser buck. I would be proud of anyone to kill a button buck, would I, no but that is my opinion and the way I want to hunt. I am not going to pass on judgement on how others might hunt. Sorry I didn't address it better in my first post.

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management