NJ Crossbow Survey - Interesting!

DeanoZ

NJ Crossbow Survey - Interesting!

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 am

While performing an unrelated search on yahoo I came across this link http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2008 ... rvey07.pdf .  Apparently a survey was conducted by the NJ DEP as a result of receiving so many requests to consider the legalized use of crossbows in NJ.  Surveys were mailed to 2,030 resident
hunters who purchased licenses using the Division's automated licensing system. One
thousand, forty-seven surveys were returned (51.6 %) indicating a very strong interest in this
subject. A summary of results follows:

PARTICIPATION IN DEER HUNTING IN NEW JERSEY
? Resident license buyers were asked which deer seasons they participate in. Only
three percent of respondents were not deer hunters. User groups were defined by the
seasons hunted, breaking down deer hunters into bow and gun hunters, gun-only
hunters, and bow-only hunters. It was determined that 72% of participating deer
hunters use both bow and guns; 23% hunt with guns only; and 5% hunt with bows
only.

SUPPORT FOR CROSSBOWS FOR DEER HUNTING
? Total support (strong support and moderate support) for the expansion of the use
of crossbows for deer hunting was overwhelmingly in favor (73%) among all
respondents.
? When broken down by user groups, total support was still in favor of crossbows:
bow & gun hunters, 72%; gun-only hunters, 79%; bow-only hunters, 67%. The
majority of non-deer hunters were also in favor of crossbows (56%).
? When broken down by affiliation (hunt club member, NJ Federation of
Sportsmen's Clubs member, member of both, or unaffiliated), support was still in
favor of crossbows: hunt club, 74%; Federation, 74%; both, 63%; unaffiliated, 74%.
Total opposition (strong opposition and moderate opposition) between affiliations:
hunt club, 23%; Federation, 25%; both, 30%; unaffiliated, 21%.

PLACEMENT OF CROSSBOWS
? Supporters of crossbows were asked in which deer season(s) should crossbow use
be allowed. The selection "all bow seasons" was preferred (54%) by all respondents.
The second most popular choice of all respondents was "all deer seasons" (24%).
? When broken down by user group, the favored response was still "all bow
seasons": bow & gun hunters, 53%; gun-only hunters, 55%; bow-only hunters, 53%.
The second most popular choice among user groups were as follows: bow & gun
hunters, "all deer seasons" (25%); gun-only hunters, "all deer seasons" (21%); bow only
hunters, "all deer seasons", "all gun seasons", and "permit bow season", all tied
at 8%.

PARTICIPATION IN CROSSBOW HUNTING
? Respondents were asked how likely they were to hunt with a crossbow now, if
legalized. The majority of all respondents (60%) will likely use a crossbow.
? When broken down by user group, the majority of hunters still agree they will use
a crossbow now: bow & gun hunters, 62%; gun-only hunters, 59%; bow-only hunters,
54%.
? Respondents were also asked if they thought they might use a crossbow as they
grow older. The majority of all respondents would use a crossbow as they age (64%).
When broken down by user group, the majority of hunters think they will use a
crossbow as they age: bow & gun hunters, 68%; gun-only hunters, 61%; bow-only
hunters, 53%.

AGE AND GENDER
? The majority of participating hunters were 40 years old or older (76%); however,
this data is biased toward older hunters as Youth hunters (those with a free youth
license, ages 10 through 16) were not included in this survey.
? The overwhelming majority of respondents were male (99%).

So my take-away from all of this is:

1.  The majority of all NJ hunters hunt both Gun and Bow
2.  The majority would hunt with a crossbow if legalized
3.  The majority would like to see this in all bowseasons

My interpretation of the results is they would simply be trading one hunting weapon for another, with little effect in terms of increasing the overall number of hunters in the woods or a given season (bow or gun).  However, since the survey was only administered to current 2007 license holders, it would be difficult to quantify how many new hunters would emerge as a result of legalizing crossbow usage, but still my sense is the number would not be significant.

Under a separate topic in these forums the subject of crossbow legalization was heavily debated.  I was personally against it except for those with a disability simply for my own selfish reasons and desire to keep and enjoy the peace of the woods during Bow season...only to find out there are just as many gun hunters as bowhunters!!!  Funny how a fear based on false beliefs predicates many of our choices!  Moreover, I lost sight of something else important to all of us as hunters...the preservation of the sport itself.  And if legalizing crossbow usage, brings more hunters into the woods, I say bring it on...its the right thing to do for the greater good!

69Viking

RE: NJ Crossbow Survey - Interesting!

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:17 am

I agree!

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:56 am

The crossbow debate.......The survey that was conducted was honestly nothing more than a joke. It considered LESS than 1/2% of New Jersey hunters. I was, am and will continue to be against the use of crossbows in NJ. I do believe that a hanicapped individual and those 62 years old or older should be able to use one. The state 'test' that had standardized crossbow use in the past was again, a joke. Now that it has passed, I believe that this 'season' should have been run with say the muzzleloader season, but definitely not the bow season. I just hope that anyone who will be entering the woods this year with a crossbow thinking that it's an early six-day will respect those bow-hunters who have put countless hours scouting and practicing with their bows. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and that's mine.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 am

ORIGINAL: cutngut85

The crossbow debate.......The survey that was conducted was honestly nothing more than a joke. It considered LESS than 1/2% of New Jersey hunters. I was, am and will continue to be against the use of crossbows in NJ. I do believe that a hanicapped individual and those 62 years old or older should be able to use one. The state 'test' that had standardized crossbow use in the past was again, a joke. Now that it has passed, I believe that this 'season' should have been run with say the muzzleloader season, but definitely not the bow season. I just hope that anyone who will be entering the woods this year with a crossbow thinking that it's an early six-day will respect those bow-hunters who have put countless hours scouting and practicing with their bows. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and that's mine.

You act like Crossbow hunters don't have to put coutless hours in scouting and practicing with their crossbows! Just what we need, another anti-crossbow hunter. Done had this argument before and it's pointless, flame on!

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

You act like Crossbow hunters don't have to put coutless hours in scouting and practicing with their crossbows! Just what we need, another anti-crossbow hunter. Done had this argument before and it's pointless, flame on!

Wow.....I was stating my opinion. My main point was that SOME people will just go buy a crossbow, take it out of the box and go hunting. I also believe a hunting course should be established for those who wish to use a crossbow. I'm all for increasing the hunting community in NJ, but I also want to be safe in the woods. We all know how trigger happy SOME people can be.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am

The survey does not take into account all or even most of Jersey hunters, but most survey's rarely do...statistically surveys at best represent a 10% crossection of what you can expect.  In all fairness to the NJ DEP they did reach out to everyone who bought a license online.  What I find interesting was only half responded...does not say much about Jersey hunters, sadly.  I think the important take away is it looks as if most who would crossbow hunt would only be trading in one weapon for another so in theory the impact in terms of sheer new numbers would be minimal.  Good and bad I guess...good for those of us who want to keep our honeyholes sacred and to ourselves...bad because if it is true that hunter numbers are on the decline, we could probably stand to see more new hunters in the woods.  I agree with your notion of a crossbow specific course for new hunters and believe they would have to take a hunter safety course regardless.

buckmaster107

Postby buckmaster107 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:14 am

I believe that only handicapped and senior hunters should be able to use the crossbow. But, as usual, this State conforms to the whining "what about me" crybabies taking the easiest path. Like the great white corn dumpers. With questionable "surveys", [no one ever asked me to do any survey], and contributions/pressure from crossbow manufacturers, the laws are manipulated for one thing, and one thing only, MONEY. If you don't believe that you may be a little naive. Can you say "Buck stub"? Crossbows are nothing more than short range rifles without the bang. With shooting sticks and scopes, they have a range far beyond the conventional and compound bows, and do not belong in the woods at the same time. It's like the muzzle loader evolution. It was supposed to be a primative weaponand was, but is now just a single shot sniper rifle. Crossbows are also the reason the the 150ft law was shot down for bow. I'm not trying to P anyone off. Just trying to point out some bad trends in hunting today and with human behavior.
Largest buck 130 gross. 1995 NJ Outstanding Deer program.

searay

Postby searay » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:49 am

Hey guys... I guess I get a bye on the crossbow issue because I am 67; but let me tell you why I bought one.  The last thing any of us want to do is wound a deer, so accuracy and a lot of practice is absolutely necessary.  I would LOVE to go out into my back yard and shoot my bow every day, but for most people in this state that is not possible because it is so densely populated.  To shoot my compound bow I would have to hop in the car and drive to a range somewhere... in my case about a half hour away (there is one closer with an indoor range that charges by the hour), so every time I want to shoot the compound I am looking at an hour of driving.  I am not trying to circumvent the time practicing... I ENJOY PRACTICING, it just is logistically impractical.  The crossbow, after it is sighted in, takes minimal practice, so I can hunt with a high level of confidence. I have bow hunted only a few times in many years because with limited practice you should not be out there. I have hunted more with the crossbow this year than the prior 5 years combined because I know I can make a very accurate shot out to 30 yards (no... I have not shot a deer with it- YET).
Safe Hunting, Ray

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Ray, welcome to the forums and I hope we get to hear more from you, not just on crossbows but on any deer hunting related topic!  you bring up a good point, and as I've always surmised the crossbow is an infinitely more a stable platform than a standard bow so it would stand to reason you'd be more accurate.  Interestingly enough the initial feedback from the NDFW is that there was an increase in bow licenses this year particularly in those hunters over 60.  So it appears legalizing crossbow use has at least generated new interest in higher age bracket...which of course is always good for the sport of hunting, despite my initial concerns. 

Symore

Postby Symore » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Searay I could not explain it better [:)]

Next

Return to New Jersey