North MO food plots

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
wolfcliff

North MO food plots

Postby wolfcliff » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:20 pm

First off
THANKS members for the info on my plot in Western Illinios, after using the arrest and mowing. The weeds seem to be at bay. Excellent info about the poast plus. Definetely will be cheaper next time :-)

I have four plots on 275 acres two roughly 1/2 acre on the other side of the farm, and a 5 1/4 acre with another 1/4 acre cove that I have planted before. The 5+ acre field has had whitetail clover sowed 4 years ago but died to weeds.

I have a question about what to plant and timing for these plots in MO. My soil test came back for 2000 lbs lime per acre for imperial clover in the larger 5 acre field and the lime truck is set to be out next weekend. (low phospherous numbers as well)
I am wondering if i could try to use some Bob oats and winter wheat in the field because I have a 4 acre bag of Imperial Whitetail clover.( like to interseed some alfalfa if timing is bad for oats and wheat) I know the seeding rates and application is different for the big seeds vs. Clover small , but the planting times for oats said sept. 15. do you guys think it would be ok to plant this larger field right after discing in the lime with all at the same time? Should I wait to put in the oats and wheat till later? Wait a few weeks for all?
Also the lime guy said that his lime was a 700 ??? does this make sense to anyone? Does this mean it is only 700 lbs actual per ton applied. His max load is 10 tons and he is doing the 5 acre field.
Thanks
Cliff Wolf

Take a kid or a man who has interest huntin'

ranwin33

RE: North MO food plots

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:37 am

It takes a while for lime to have any effect on the soil, like nearly 6 months for full effectiveness.  So planting immediately after liming will most likley have no positive or negative impact in the short term.  If it were me and as things are getting late in the season, I'd plant ASAP.

As for the 700 number, that could be the Effective Calcium Carbonate Equivalent and when you got your report is should have included the number of pounds per acre of lime needed based upon an ECCE. 

The 700 number may also be ENM which is the amount of Effective Neutralizing Material per ton.  So 700 would be 700 pounds of ENM per ton.  Again, your report should give you a total pounds of acres needed based upon a certain ENM.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management