What would you shoot??

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: What would you shoot??

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 am

Another way to look at the situation is this - it's pretty much been proven that even "the experts" cannot accurately age deer on the hoof, good luck to the rest of us - so if the buck is 3.5 or 6.5 chances are we're not going to be able to tell for certain. 

So now it comes down to rack size, which do you shoot the 130 or the 150.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 pm

The key to this question is that you know the 130 is 6+ years.  Then this is the buck to take.  One, not too many of us can say we have shot a 6+ year old deer in the wild. Two, a 130 inch mature deer is not what you want in the gene pool and three odds are you have dozens of photos of this deer and a great history of it.... what a great closure.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:54 pm

If I got two deer running around my property of that class, Im going to bed with a smile on my face because my job was done.  I think I would hunt long and hard for both bucks, trying to tag both.. But if the moment of truth came, I would take a shot at the one that gives me the shot. If both deer come into range at the same time.... YIKES I maybe in for a tough decision.. However with the 6.5 year old at the 130 class and being just that... Id say Id take him..It's like my quote at the bottom says..."If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight." With that being said...Im gonna hope the 3.5 year old makes it around till next year, considering he hasnt reached his full potential.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:20 pm

After I estimate a buck to be 3.5 or older, the green light goes on and the range is hot. I would take the first lethal shot at either buck.

Now to play along with the spirit of the question. If both bucks were facing each other, broadside at 20 yards and I was certain that the 130" was older than the 150", I'd shoot the 130".

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:30 pm

If I had been after the older buck for years, it would be neat to finally get him. But in hunting there are no guarantees, so I would take the first good shot opportunity.
Dave M.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:52 am

My goal is a 3.5 year old or older, so the first one that gave me a shot. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 am

I would shoot the first one to come in and give me a clean shot.

Now if JPH's senario came into play they were both standing in front of me broadside, I would take the 150 class buck. I would not be disapointed with the 130 buck I mean how cool would it be to say I killed a 6+ yr old buck. But at this stage in my hunting life I would take the 150.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am

Either one I would consider a trophy.  So, like many of you I would take the first one to give the best shot.  If both were there I not sure I could pass on the 150 seeing as I have never got one that big.

Kind of brings up the question is QDM more about the deer's age or the hunters self control ?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Well considering Im going to mostly be on state land, to see either deer there would be awesome and whatever one that I saw first would be going down given I could hold my gun or bow steady enough ;) If both came in at the same time I would probably go for the 6.5 yr old because chances are I may never get the chance to take one that old again on state land. Either way both are trophies in my book. And even if you "believe in QDM" QDM is a lot more than big racks...
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:12 pm

I guess I'll be the bad guy...  If both presented me with identical shots, I would take the 150.  I have never killed a buck nearly that big and would love to get a big boy like that.  Temptation would get the better of me.  Ask me in another 10 years and I might have a different answer. 

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management