Pop Up Blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ranwin33

RE: pop up blinds

Postby ranwin33 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:30 am

The shoot through windows shouldn't cause you a problem, unless you are using an extremely sensitive mechanical head.  With regular broadheads you will be fine.  Only problem is the netting is not self-healing so do understand the arrow will damage it.  My advise, set the blind up and shoot at a target through one of the windows.

I have heard though that the netting may catch fire if you shoot a rifle through them.  Don't know if that is true or not, but something to be cognizant of.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

flatheadnut

Pop Up Blinds

Postby flatheadnut » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Does anybody worry about scent on blinds? I hate to carry anything onto the small farm that is going to smell like a garage. (can't be much worse than a Cabela's bargin cave?) I have worried about this since I put it in storage last January. Last season I set it up in September and left it till January. Some rodent ate my zipper. If I stick it out again this September right before a rain, will that work? Thanks in advance, I so appreciate all I have learned in this community!
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Haywood

RE: Pop Up Blinds

Postby Haywood » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:02 pm

I good rain should do the trick but if not you could always spray scent eliminating spray on it as you would you hunting clothes.

cruiserdebo

Postby cruiserdebo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 pm

i agree w/ Haywood......or set it up in backyard for a week to air out.
you go up on that ridge and I'll go down in the swamp....

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:55 am

I would make sure to air it out as well.  Also be careful of the blind fading in the sunlight if you leave it out. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 am

Letting it air out for a week or so, away from any unfamiliar smells, would be best.  Also, when setting a blind up, it's good to set it up in a spot well in advance (month or more if you can) so the deer get used to it.  Sometimes this isn't possible I know, but do what you can!

I'm looking at purchasing another blind myself.  Does anyone know where I can get a good, quality blind that won't break my bank?  I have a double-bull right now that I love, but would like to get something with some of the same characteristics but a little cheaper.  Thanks!
QDM!

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks for the tips, if all goes well, it will be tucked up under a big cedar very soon.

buckhunter21 I know what you mean about breaking the bank. I got my blind at the bargin cave cabela's. I just couldn't swing the price of a new one. Anyway, there were two like the one I bought. I set them both up in the store, folks were getting a bit ticked at the space I was taking. The only thing wrong with them was that the stitching on the elastic that held the window flaps up was week. I should have bought both. Now I wish I had another as well.

Does anyone build blinds by cutting and stacking branches?
Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Haywood

Postby Haywood » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Buckhunter21...I have found some good deals on blinds on Ebay. Give that a shot if the shipping doesn't kill you.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to check that out!

Probably one of the neatest blinds I've seen is the one Patriot and his family made last year.  Can't remember where it is on the forum here, but he posted pics.  Hit him up and I'm sure he'll send you some pics.  Basically it's an old cow hay feeder and then put branches, etc. all around it.  Pretty neat, but not sure how mobile it is!
QDM!

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 am

Open up the bag, dump in a handful of baking soda, shake it up a bit and then leave it.  The baking soda will do a really good job of eating up any odor.  
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to Best Practices