One Buck a Year

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
nateberly

One Buck a Year

Postby nateberly » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:08 pm

I have always been a rifle hunter, for 9 years or so, and now an thinking about getting into bowhunting. When I was reading the regs, I found that in MN, you can only shoot one buck per year, that includes bow, rifle, and muzzleloader. You can still use bonus tags for antlerless, if they are available, but only one buck a year.
I find this a little disappointing, If I were to take up bowhunting, and shot a buck, I wouldn't be able to hunt bucks with a rifle that year!
Are most states like this?
Does anyone know if MN was always like that?
Any other thoughts?

willseyville

RE: One Buck a Year

Postby willseyville » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:57 pm

the way it's works in n.y is you can take a buck or doe on your bow tag . then we have gun season where you can only a buck . then you have dmps that you can use for doe then last is black powder where agin it's buck or doe . there has been some talk of just one buck a year here also and it would'nt upset me any i hunt for the meat not the antlers [:)] wayne

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 am

I do not hunt there, but looking at their regs, it looks like you are correct. Although, it does look like you might be able to "party hunt".

Hopefully they will be able to answer you better under the MN thread.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:56 am

Indiana is a one buck state also. If you kill a buck with the bow, as I did last year, you become a doe hunter for shotgun and muzzle loader seasons. It's probably good for the deer as far as increasing the age of bucks goes, but I'm afraid a lot of people wiil take a second buck during gun season and then slap someone else's tag on it. Deer have to be registered in Indiana, but the check stations don't get paid to do so. Most of the check stations don't even go outside to look at the deer. They hand you a tag and tell you to put it on the deer. I've even seen people show up at the check station to register a deer that they'd left at home. They were given registration tags and told "put it on the deer when you get back home."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:14 am

Ohio's the same one buck a year, and several antlerless deer.  Been that way for as long as I can remember.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:21 pm

I hope Wisconsin does not go to one buck a year. EAB was bad enough if they ever tried this one buck a year crap you will see a huge decrease in hunter numbers in my opinion. I like the fact we can kill a buck with our bows and a buck with our rifles.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:44 am

I believe Kansas is that way as well.  Once buck a year.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:03 am

SD is one buck per weapon.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

tnt1960

Postby tnt1960 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:08 am

In Michigan, we can shoot 2 bucks, but the second buck has to have at least 4 tines on one antler. Don`t give up on bowhunting just because you can only shoot one buck. Taking a buck with a bow is a special feeling. It`s something you`ll never forget. The bucks I`ve taken with my bow, are the ones I`m most proud of, and they aren`t the biggest of all my bucks. Any buck with a bow is a true trophy!
You can`t grill it till you kill it. For great sales/service, go to http://www.oneidabows.net/

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:41 am

I have hunted WI all my life and feel blessed that we can take more than one buck a year (1 Bow/1 Gun).  However, as I get more involved with QDM or at least our version of it, It has been a rare case that I have taken two bucks in the same year.

I agree with tnt1960- I am usually more proud of any deer that I take with a Bow regardless if it has antlers or not.

Next

Return to Regulatory issues