Exercise/Routine of the Week

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: Exercise/Routine of the Week

Postby JPH » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:53 am

7/6/2009-7/12/2009: Y & L

This is a shoulder strength and mobility exercise brought to us by mtnathlete.com/ (an excellent site that I highly endorse). This is of specific value to archery hunters but can be put to good use by all of us. Please watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9EEtVxwRA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emilitaryathlete%2Ecom%2Fpage%2Ephp%3Fpage%5FID%3D15%26gallery%5Ftype%3Dvideos&feature=player_embedded

Note that the trainer in the video is using small olympic plates. I found it more than enough to perform 10 reps with 2.5 lbs in each hand. This is an excellent warm-up exercise that can be used prior to a strength workout or session at the archery range. I would suggest performing 1-3 sets of 8-10 reps. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:23 am

7/13/2009-719/2009: Tabata Protocol

We have given some attention to the Tabata Protocol but this week we will really give it it's due. It is short, simple, intense and effective. 'Nuff said.

Choose an exercise that taxes multiple muscles and can be performed at high speed. Burpees (post #8) and sledge strikes (post #9) are good examples, but many of the exercises that we have shared in this thread will fit the bill.

Perform 8 rounds of the following:
- Exercise at maximum speed X 20 seconds
- Total rest X 10 seconds

That amounts to 4 minutes! Don't think you can get a good fat burning workout in 4 minutes? Do a set of bodyweight squats times the Tabata Protocol and we'll talk.

The excuses not to get in shape keep falling away.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:49 am

7/20/2009-7/26/2009: Plank Walk-ups

Once again, this week's exercise is taken from mtnathlete.com. Great site with a lot to offer hunters.

Anyway, this exercise is a twist on the static plank (Post #1). You will begin in the plank position, but you will continually lift yourself off of your forearms and onto your hands (the push-up position) and back down again. Repeat this motion as often as you can for 1 minute.

Watch:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLXCa0-BV24&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmtnathlete%2Ecom%2Fsubpage%5Fdetails%2Ephp%3Fsubpage%5FID%3D274%26page%5FID%3D14&feature=player_embedded

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:55 pm

7/27/2009-8/3/2009: The Buck Fever Simulator

I'm going to be away from computer access for a week so I thought I'd post this a little early. It is such a hunting specific workout I'm hoping some of you will give it a try and offer some feedback. It will test your physical fitness, shooting skill and improve your ability to combat buck fever.

The set-up requires a stopwatch, bow, 3 field tipped arrows, target, and a 20 yard range with safe backdrop. Set the target at a range of 20 yards with a clearly marked, 4" circle as a kill shot. Place a shooting table up-range for your bow to rest on.

- Begin with your bow and arrows resting next to you. Start the timer.
- Perform 5 burpees and 10 jumping jacks.
- Sprint 20 yards down range, around the target, and back to the shooting position.
- Perform 5 burpees and 10 jumping jacks.
- Pick up your bow and shoot 3 arrows.
- Set the bow down and sprint to the target.
- Retrieve the arrows and WALK back to the starting point.
- Continue until you have scored 12 kill shots in the 4" circle. Stop the timer.

If you can score a hit on every shot, you will finish in 4 rounds. If you miss, you will be forced to continue. Clearly, archery skill will be a huge advantage, but you may find your skills fall off sharply when your heart is pounding! Sound familiar?  

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 am

8/3/2009-8/9/2009: Tire Jumps

I'm going to dig out the big tire we have been using from time to time for this one. Obviously, this can be done with any solid platform roughly 18-24" in height, but I like the tire because it can be quickly used for other exercises.

Begin standing in front of the tire and jump with both feet, landing firmly on the tire and extending the legs to a fully standing position. Next, drop back to the ground and repeat. Perform these at a rappid pace for several 30-60 second rounds, followed by 30-60 seconds of rest.

The primary benifits of this exercise are cardio conditioning and explosive power. While the benifit of cardio is well established, one my consider explosive power to be unnessary for deer hunters. The fact is however, that explosive power is often the difference between a near miss or a tragic accident. When balance fails, while climbing a treestand or walking on uneven ground, the ability to powerfully compensate will often save you from injury.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:54 am

8/10/2009-816/2009: Active Recovery

Before you ask, no I am not running out of ideas. Active recovery is actually a huge factor in athletic performance. This is particularly true as we age! Unfortunately, many of us do not know how to do it.

If you have been exercising hard for a period of time, you need to schedule "back-off weeks" where you reduce your workload and allow your body to catch up. This is not to be confused with quitting altogether, which can actually be harmful and create mental barriers when you go to resume your program. The key is to keep exercising, but do so at a reduced level of intensity (ie. lower weights, slower paces, and sorter workouts). this should also be accompanied by paying careful attention to diet and sleep.

If you have been doing an intense 5-6 day strength and cardio workout every week of several weeks, you may want to attempt a back-off weeks that concentrates on active recovery. It may look like this:

Mon = Dynamic stretching followed by a brief, low intensity bodyweight strength circuit.
Tues = Run, jog or walk 20-30 minutes.
Wed = Low intensity core stabilization routine or total rest.
Thurs = Dynamic stretching followed by a brief, low intensity bodyweight strength circuit.
Fri = Run, jog, or walk 20-30 minutes.
Sat = Total rest
Sun = Total rest

If you jump right back into your full workload the following Monday, you will be amazed at how much stronger and more fit you feel!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 am

This is true.  Another thing to think about as well is to after you've been doing the same thing for a couple months, to switch to different exercises at the same intensity.  This is due to the fact that your body gets used to the same old thing and you'll start to not notice significant results anymore.  Training your body to do something else basically keeps it on it's toes and keeps you always improving!
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm

8/17/2009 -8/23/2009: Sprint Interval #2 (Ladders)

Let's spend a little more time at the local track before we have to share it with the cheerleaders and the band. I want to offer another interval workout because I consider them to be a more efficient use of workout time than long, slow distance runs. I also believe they more closely reproduce the workload experienced by hunters (ie. bursts of heavy work or stress, followed by periods of recovery).

This workout (if you are able to complete the entire thing) will cover a 5 kilometers over 9 sprint legs and offer 8 minutes of total rest. Understand once again that the term "sprint" is subjective. The idea is to finish each leg as quickly as you can whether that is a dead run, jog or a brisk walk. It looks like this:

- 200m (.5 laps)
Rest 60 sec
- 400m (1 lap)
Rest 60 sec
- 600m (1.5 laps)
Rest 60 sec
- 800m (2 laps)
Rest 60 sec
- 1000m (2.5 laps)
Rest 60 sec
- 800m (2 laps)
Rest 60 sec
- 600m (1.5 laps)
Rest 60 sec
- 400m (1 lap)
Rest 60 sec
- 200m (.5 lap)

If you reach your breaking point before the 1000m leg, simply begin your decent of the ladder where you are. Keep at it for a while and you may be surprised at how soon you are able to finish the whole thing.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:43 am

Interval or burst training is the only way to go!  You get more out of an even shorter workout.  I used to do the long runs..Not anymore!  Highly recommended! 

Great post!
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 am

8/24/2009 - 8/30/2009: Prone Back Extention

This exercise actually goes by a number of names. It is a good, low impact, low key movement that will help to strengthen your low back for those long hours on stand and (hopefully) the strain of hoisting your deer into the bed of you pickup.

Begin on your hands and knees woth your eyes forward and your back straight but relaxed. Slowy extend your right arm out in front of your body, while at the same time extending your left leg out behind. Balance and hold this position for a slow count of 5-10. Slowly relax and repeat this movement with the opposite arm and leg. Perform 2-3 sets of 10.

Couple this with an abdominal exercise and something with rotation (see posts #11 & 14) and you've got a good little core routine! 

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness