Turnips

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

RE: Turnips

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:46 am

No i don't think i had to, i hope not at least, they didn't say to when i bought it, and the manual didn't have anything about updates in it. So i really hope i didnt have to lol!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:53 pm

northernVT and Demoderby,

As far as I know there are no updates for the D-40. I looked a while back because I heard people who had trouble with the I40, they could hook it up and install updates. Hope both of you have luck with your D-40's. I have 3 cams, 2 D-40's and for the price they are a great camera.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05 am

Thanks reeper, yeah i didnt see anything about any updates so hopefully it works out!! I want to head out there sunday, if all goes well according to plan i should be able to get out there for a few hours on sunday!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:58 am

msbadger,  I know this is an old post, Ref. Turnips - 1/18/2009 Post #8, but what do you do as far as weed control and prep before plantingImage  These plots look fantasticImageImage Since I do not get an e-mail when someone responds to a Post, could you please also send a note/EM to tmaclaughlin@earthlink.net.  Thanks for your help, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 am

Thanks and thats a good ?...because I'm a tad...lets say particular about my plots...well I'M CHEAP AND HATE WASTING $...lol

I just posted pics in the "how are your plots growing...it shows a brand new plot that was an experiment and I took the "shortcut"...so you'll notice it is full of timothy that the farmer had planted more than 20years ago!...which is Ok because...I decided to buy a $8.00 bag of seed corn and disc it in as cover to the new BW/ bracc plot....Dang if even after squirrels...turkey and crows ate an awful lot of the seed it grew and then the deer just kept topping it off and it still regrew...So now I know I can plant corn as a cover for cheap....All I did in that area was kill once and disc....I normally kill...disc  then kill and disc again. Then all new plots go to buckwheat in the spring with a walk over of turnips /rape seed in Aug.
I do this for a couple of years and lime every year until I have the PH just so and then depending on soil (wet/dry...sunny shade)...by this time I have managed to get most of all the persistant perennial weeds under control. I then plant perennials and maintain them thru mowing...heres a ppic of that corn and how the deer are still topping it....there are braccs amongst the weeds in the front of pic...this plot as you can see from my mowing is going to be expanded next season...I'll spray down the mowed area this fall....

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0612.jpg" border="0" alt="experimental corn plot...2009"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0604.jpg" border="0" alt="lower field 2009"></a>

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 am

msbadger...i like your thinking on planting food plots.  they sure aren't cheap!  nice pics btw!

i'm thinking of planting some brassicas and turnups here shortly, but was wondering what the timeframe on that is...when its' too late basically?  my spring brassica plot of biologic maximum didn't take, so i want to spray that with some roundup, disc/plow, and then plant the turnups and brassicas.  i don't have much time the next couple weeks and then it's getting the end of august so wondering if it's even worth it?  never planted them before. 

thanks!
QDM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Being in NY and at 1900ft thats hard for me to say in your case...heck it's hard for me some years as well....this years rain had me doing the bracc planting very early...last week of july...this constant rain has washed out some plots and there is just no controlling the weeds...really rain every day all summer...I dare say we had one week where it rained just 2x's.....anyways...usually I will plant mid Aug to late Aug...depends on plots...see many are in the woods so I have to factor the height of plot before the leaf fall ...if it's not tall enough the plots are smoothered...some times that gets forgotten by ppl.....Good luck..And Thanks

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Never too late to plant. If you plant now and get decent rain and the frost stays away for a while it will do well.  I would try Brassica's.  Maximum is awesome, Deer Creek has some good products meant for northern climates.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info guys...I planted Maximum this spring and it got hit hard by the weeds, and this area is what I want to replant.  I bought some ShotPlot from Fleet Farm for $13 bucks so I may work that in this weekend.  One thing I don't have time for, is spraying the weeds that are already there.  This si one of my last available weekends for a while, so if I do it, I'll have to cut down the weeds, disc or plow, broadcast, and then cultipack, and hope the weeds don't come back.  Do you guys think that's a good idea?  Love to kill those weeds but just no time....
QDM!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:29 pm

I'll let You Hunters in on a little secret...I believe that BPS (BassProShop) is having a sale on the D40 Moultrie Camera's for $69.00 up until Aug 23 (sunday).

Turnips...I love planting and eating the purple top turnips for Deer Season! [:D]

This weekend (Aug 22-23) we're planting our Fall Food Plots,we will be planting a mixture of Wheat,Clover,Forage Rape & Turnip Brassicas from Evolved Harvest "Shot Plot" forage attractant and I'm adding some Sugar Beets also.We disc up all the Food Plots then plant the wheat around the edges and then put the rest in the center area of the larger food plots,sometimes we mix the wheat in with the rest of the seeds on the smaller plots and logging roads.The Forage Rape and Turnip Brassicas make more of a leafy top with no large ball/root like a turnip does.The Purple Top Turnips make a large round turnip that will last a while after the Deer have eaten the tops off...then they will even eat the turnips in Nov.,December and Jan.!

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management