Batteries for your camera's

duckunder

Batteries for your camera's

Postby duckunder » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:20 am

I see alot of talk on this forum about guys that have problems with their cameras eating batteries... Maybe alot of you know this, but for those that don't,  you need to buy the good batteries for your trail cameras, otherwise, the cheap ones will not last....  and honestly, alkaline energizers have been the longest lasting batteries I have ever used.... and I can also honestly say that Duracells have been the worst, In my opinion, they are junk.... 
My Moultree I-60 last year lasted 5 full months and there was still 20 % battery left with the energizers in it... and many of my friends have found out the same results that i have found.....
Hope this helps someone out....

ranwin33

RE: Batteries for your camera's

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:49 am

Rather than buying and replacing - you might consider rechargeables.  That's what we do, and then just rotate them out every visit.  Plus on the cameras taking 6-volters, we hook up solar chargers to increase the life.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:39 am

so, my moultree's take the D batteries... if you get the rechargeables and a charger, how long will those batteries last a guy ?  What I mean is, Will they last me 4 or 5 years ?  and also, are the chargers expensive, or not too bad ?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 am

Here is a charger with 8 D-cell batteries for $40 - http://www.all-battery.com/t-1199buniversalbatterychargerwithtimercontrol8nicdd5000mahbatteries.aspx

I can't say as to how long they'd last. 

I've used AA in my camera for years - I think longevity may depend more on how often you recharge them than anything else.    The 6-volters we use on our Moultries last 2-3 years and cost us $14 each which to me is a pretty good deal.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:06 am

I went through a rechargeable battery phase and all I can tell you is for D cell batteries, don't buy the cheap energizer ones from Walmart. I was amazed that they were $10 for 2 (they were way more expensive everywhere else I went) and I did not pay attention to the mAh of the battery. They are 2500mAh and a good quality AA battery has more power than that. I also thought it was weird that the same battery in a C cell had the same amount of power.

To make a long story short they dont last for squat and you will be going into the woods more often then you should to switch the batteries out on your camera. I wish I would have invested in a better quality rechargeable battery like Ranwin33 posted or invested my money in a good quality non-rechargeable battery.

Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 am

Alot depends on the camera too.  I have a cuddeback capture and a wildview extreme 4.  I put fresh rayovac batteries in both camera's and the wildview died in 3 weeks and the cuddeback is still going strong after being out close to 2 months and it has taken twice as many pictures as the wildview has. 
Scott

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am

thanks ranwin33...   I think I am going to go the route of rechargeables from now on.... Hopefully they will pay for themselves quick.....  I have three moultrees out there now, and they all take 6 "D" batteries..

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 am

I have some Fuji batteries in a Stealth Cam and they are still working after almost 3 months .
I have put Duracells and Energizers in the WildView cams and they just get eaten up . I believe
it's more of a camera problem than batteries !
Semper Fi !

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:34 am

Guys check out using 12V external rechargeable lead acid batteries like the kind that work for either lawnmowers, motorcycles, or deep cycle trolling motors (might be my choice after I research it some more). I have the Moultrie D40 and went to Radio Shack and got the connector for the external battery port and wired it to my 12V rechargeable fish finder battery. It worked great except that it only has 7 amp hours (ah) of capacity so it only lasted a month before needing to be recharged. An alkaline Energizer D cell by comparison has 20.5 ah capacity and that's why it lasts over 2 months. I'm going to go to our local Battery Warehouse this week and find a seal lead acid rechargeable battery that has a higher ah capacity, preferably more than the Energizer's 20.5 ah. I think from looking online I can find a battery like that for less than $40 and not have to buy another battery for years. If I think about all the D batteries I bought the first year of having the camera I probably could have already bought 1 or 2 external rechargeable batteries. Once I find the solution that works best I'll make sure to repost here and let you guys know.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:29 pm

ORIGINAL: duckunder

I see alot of talk on this forum about guys that have problems with their cameras eating batteries... Maybe alot of you know this, but for those that don't,  you need to buy the good batteries for your trail cameras, otherwise, the cheap ones will not last....  and honestly, alkaline energizers have been the longest lasting batteries I have ever used.... and I can also honestly say that Duracells have been the worst, In my opinion, they are junk.... 
My Moultree I-60 last year lasted 5 full months and there was still 20 % battery left with the energizers in it... and many of my friends have found out the same results that i have found.....
Hope this helps someone out....

I think you're right...I first started out with Duracells and they didn't last me too long.  Then I went to rechargeables, but only got the 2500 mAH capacity.  They are OK, but I need some with closer to 5000mAH, but can't seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get these?
QDM!

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras