Compound Bow Sights

wack

RE: Compound Bow Sights

Postby wack » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:12 am

Some things to think about are what kind of hunting are you going to do? Ground? Tree stand? Shooting bears out of tops of trees? 3D shooting? Normal hunting ranges from 0-35 yards? Or longer ranges?  Are you shooting a slow arrow set up, say 220 fps, or fasts like over 300 fps?
 With out knowing what you have and want to do with it it's hard to tell what would work best for you.
 I use a Predator IV pendulum sight. I use a tree climber a lot and also hunt from the ground. I shoot a heavy arrow at 275 fps and my single pendulum pin is dead on from 0-40 yards no matter if I'm on the ground or 30 feet up a tree. No yardage estimate needed, no compensating for down hill angles, the only thing I need to know, is my target within 40 yards.  It's a fixed pin sight if you are shooting up hill so knocking bears out of trees would take some uphill practice. Not the sight I want for that hunting but for WI. deer hunting it has not failed me in 8 years. I'm limited to 40 yards with this sight, but that's OK. A faster, lighter arrow with speeds around 300 fps the sight would be effective somewhere over 45 yards. If you need more range, it's not the sight for you. If your shooting slower than 220 fps, it's probably not the sight for you. The sight has an adjustment for speed which separates the Predator IV from all other pendulum sights. Sure beats a $300+ "Smart" rangefinder telling you what range to hold on for what pin to choose, forget it, it's already gone. lol I got 6 deer my first season with this sight and I can tell you I wouldn't have done near that well if I had to learn yardage and multiple pins. It's the only thing that hasn't changed in my set up through 5 bows in 8 years.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

wack

Postby wack » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:20 am

I also forgot to mention that the peep that's made for the Predator IV is one of the largest I've ever seen. Combined with the lighted pin made it possible for me to shoot my first coyote in the dark and save my venison. Never needed it for deer hunting, only deer recovery. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:04 am

I agree with vipermann7, I love the trophy ridge sights. I've got the 5 pin flatliner on my PSE. On my Hoyt I got the 3 pin guide series. Right now Cabela's has the TR sights on clearance in the bargin cave, great price reg 119.99 right now 69.99.

As far as a peep goes, I got the G5 meta peep installed on my Hoyt last night and will never use anything else. This peep is awesome, plenty of eye relief. I replaced the rubber tube style with this peep.

Good luck

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:30 pm

ORIGINAL: whitacl

Thanks for helping me get on my way.  I am lookig at spending about $50-$90.  I would like 3 -5 pins.  And would like to stay as light as possible.  I currently shoot traditional, no sights no release.  I have never used a release or a sight.  I have shoot like this since i could pull back a bow.

I shoot a Bowtech Old Glory set at 62 lbs.

Any suggestions on sights?

whitacl,
I just picked up the Cobra Boomslang sight at Gander Mountain today for $60...for my wife's bow.  I have a very similar version for my bow.  Check it out.  It has 4 feet of wrapped fiber to gather light.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:46 pm

If it comes with a buck like that I'll take 2 please!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Used trophy ridge for 4yrs, then went to a black gold 5 pin and have never looked back! 

Black gold!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:04 am

I have a Sword Twilight Hunter on my bow.
5 zero gap pins
3rd Axis Adjustment
3 Stage LED Light
Camo Finish
Available in Left or Right Hand

Great sight
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

Previous

Return to Misc. Accessories