Scary.....

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
msbadger

Scary.....

Postby msbadger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:13 am

Went to city yesterday and all was fine came home and a large poplar tree from our land was across the road....drove home and got the saw ...went back cut it up enough to get it off the road...Scary thing is....it had buds was alive and it broke off at the bottom foot of tree...I'm talking a 13in  across... tree here...I checked for bug...bird....bark damage and found none....really makes you think about using the ole climber [:o].....It had been there from 9 in the morning and the town never moved it...glad it didnt hit any body...nieghbor had reported and ppl were driving their cars over the top branches all day [8|]

shadow

RE: Scary.....

Postby shadow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:47 am

High winds cause this??
It scares me at times when I'm in my climber and the tree is swaying just a little. I won't go up on real windy days thats for sure.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Ya they must of had a good storm roll through yesterday....actually high wind advisory just lifted here...but you couldn't tell by looking out side,,,tree was located on the edge of red pines half way down the hill....yep didn't use the climbers last year due to wind...dang near got tossed out of ladder stand a couple of times[:o]

John1961

Postby John1961 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Are you sure Bigfoot didn't try to put his climber on your tree?  Kidding. Glad no one was hurt.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:37 pm

I wont ever put a stand in a poplar. It seems like they just grow huge, then snap and fall over. We have alot of them where I hunt
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Poplar trees grow fast and are pretty pourous which makes them soft and weak . I wouldn't put a stand in one ...........
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:50 pm

It's the beech.... maple and oak around here and at camp that I climb ...but for the last couple of years seemingly non diseased sturdy maples have had the tops snap off from them...and thats a common occurance in poplars...but they never snap at the bottom when looking healthy...The maple damage has really unnerved my desire to climb...it's made for great bedding areas and this summer alot of fire wood but it's hurting my timber bottom line....wish prices would go up so I could get a crew in here....just makes ya think hard..... I check and double check the wind forcast before breaking out a climber

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:36 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

Poplar trees grow fast and are pretty pourous which makes them soft and weak . I wouldn't put a stand in one ...........

Shallow root system too.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:20 am

Wow that is scary. Has anyone had similar problems with birch trees? I have hunted out of some of them near riverbanks and always wondered if they too would tip over like that. Mostly white birch trees.

Stump

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:01 am

Once, up at my camp, they had a real bad windstorm. Locals said it was a "microburst" which is like a very localized tornado. Probably 3/4 of the trees in one spot were broken off at some point. Scary stuff, for sure.

Next

Return to Tree Stands