How to improve land that you lease

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Swandog09

How to improve land that you lease

Postby Swandog09 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:17 am

My Father and I lease 280 acres in Centeral WI (Adams County).  I would say that 60% of the land is marsh and rest is wooded sections that run along the marshes. 

Currently, the property has one food plot that is about 1/2 acre that the landowener put in years ago.  We have the right to plant what we want but it is just not enough.

The landowener (family friend) is avid hunter him self but hunts in Buffalo County and is not the most responsive to hints of improving the land by adding more food plots.  Of course we are offering to pay for all the costs and to do the work ourselves. 

Any one have suggestions?

ranwin33

RE: How to improve land that you lease

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm

So will he let you add more plots?  I cannot really tell by your post.

If so, create some 1/2 acre to 2 acre plots.  Clover is a good perrenial to use, but this late in the season you may want to overseed it with winter wheat or oats.  Something to give you a quick sprout with enough mass to attract deer.  The clover will come back next spring and then your into plot maintanence which is a lot easier than plot creation.

If you can cut trees, do some of that as well.  Open up the canopy and let some sunlight onto the ground, this will create some natural browse for deer.  Clearcutting an acre or so would be real effective; leaving some dominant oaks or other preferred trees. 

If you're serious about it, get a soil test to determine lime and fertilizer needs before you plant anything.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Yea, I guess it all determines as to what he's willing to let you do...The sky is the limit!
QDM!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Hmmm, sounds like turkey woods...plant chufa in that 1/2 acre, the deer will eat the tops and the turkeys will find the tubers.
South Carolina Low Country

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 am

Sorry guys,

I should have been a little more clear.  Yes, my goal is to increase the number of food plots on the property.  Or at a minimum increase the size of the one we currently have.  Of course my plan would include clear cutting some areas to accomplish this.  This would be for next year and beyond not this season.

We have already planted the 1/2 acre with buck forage oats and have had some good results with it in the past.

Our issue is that landowner is reluctant to give us the go ahead on add plots or increasing the one we have.  Even though he does not deer hunt the property he does still use the land year round (spring turkey hunting, X-country sking in off season, etc) and maybe that is the true issue...he doesn't want the woods to change because it works for him.  And yes, 1Morgan it is pretty good turkey land.

I believe that he trust us in that we would never do anything to hurt his property but I have to admit that the improvements are for selfish gain.

Food ploting is really gaining popularity in our area.  At one time we were one of the few properties to have one.  Now some of the neighbors have put in as many as 10 and we are feeling the affects of it in terms of the number of deer sighted each hunt.

So I guess the question I am really asking is how to convince a landowner to change his property to benefit us?

Sorry for the long post.  

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:05 am

Maybe you can help out the landowner with things around his property.  Maybe if he burns wood for a heat source tell him you will come up and help him cut wood.  Also maybe give some some of the venison from the deer you harvest.  These little things can go a long way toward showing the land owner how thankful you are. 
Scott

Modeerhunter

Postby Modeerhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:17 am

You might also try to explain to him how several small plots would greatly enhance his spring turkey hunting, and poult rearing areas. My best advice would be to not be pushy about it, people are slow to embrace change in a lot of cases. Work on him over time, and try to let him know that the benefits of foodplots outweigh any negatives. I also agree with the above post about cutting some trees. TSI is a great way to enhance the amount of native browse, and can even put a few bucks in his pocket if the timber has any value. 

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks for the advise.  I will continue the soft sell plan.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management