point restriction statewide

derek geiser

point restriction statewide

Postby derek geiser » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm

I dont know if a point restriction is the answer but the mndnr needs to do a better job managing the bucks in mn.  I have tried for years to talk to neighbors about passing up young bucks some have changed their ways but enough haven't that I now wish the state would step in and make it easier for the bucks to reach maturity.  What steps do I need to take to get my area in the discussion for antler restrictions?  I live and hunt near New York Mills, MN.

nateberly

RE: point restriction statewide

Postby nateberly » Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 am

I think it would be nice for most areas to have a restriction. We have lots of yearling bucks/spikes/forks, but don't get a whole lot of older deer. It might motivate people to take more does. I think if they do do this it would be nice to put a waiver on kids under 18. I think they had a mention of this possibility in the regulations last year, or maybe it was a poll when you bought your license or registered your deer. I can't remember.

Talking to neighbors and collaborating ideas and restrictions is a start. Call or write your local DNR office. Give them your opinion.
Are you a member of any clubs? Bring it up there.
You could start a petition. I bet you would be surprised at how many supporters you would find.
Good luck!

Return to Minnesota