Training Labs To Hunt for Sheds

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
Cgull

Training Labs To Hunt for Sheds

Postby Cgull » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 pm

Does anybody have suggestions for traing a lab pup for shed hunting. I've got a couple of old sheds that I've been playin fetch with her with. I'm thinking that after a few months of shed chaising in the bck yard she might be able to help find some come spring.

Sailfish

RE: Training Labs To Hunt for Sheds

Postby Sailfish » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:08 am

I'd be interested in hearing some info as well.

I too  have a 6 month old lab pup
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:23 am

My buddy has a weimaraner that love sheds, he really didn't train him to find him.  He just gave him some sheds as chew toys when he was a pup.  He chewed them constantly, now when he's out hiking the dog picks them up everywhere they go.   He found several in thick CRP fields and cornfields. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:44 am

My yellow lab will find sheds for me. I played fetch with the sheds for awhile with him. Then i would put him in his kennel and go hide the sheds in the grass. then tell him to hunt'em up. he would always find the sheds for me.

I've never taken him on real shed hunts as i dont do it much but im hoping that he was smelling the sheds and not my scent on the sheds.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

WIbuckchaser

Postby WIbuckchaser » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:53 pm

When my old dog leaves this world my plan is to try to train a pup to help me find sheds. I wonder if one could train a golden retriever to find them? Most labs are a little to hiper for my liking.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

I have a lab that I trained to hunt sheds. I got him originally to hunt dove and ducks but found out he was severely gun shy after I trained him (this is my fault). He was trained to retrieve very well and is well mannered, so I started training to find sheds. It only took me about a year of working with him on a regular basis but he has gotten pretty good at it. He found 2 matching sets and several singles last year and it was only his first year out. I didn't really read very much on how to train him to do this. I kinda came up with my own method. I started out playing fetch with an antler with him. After he got to where he really liked fetching the antlers I started hiding them around the yard. Because he was always looking for me to throw something I took a small deer antler and put a lanyard on it. I would pretend to throw the antler i had in my hand which would send him on a grid search. He would find all the hidden antlers I put out and I never hid them in the same place twice. Now I take him to the woods in a spot I want to check for sheds. Then I heel and set him to get him focused and I pretend to throw the antler I have the lanyard attached to. He will search every inch of that section of woods to find one to bring back to me. After he has searched for a while and come up with nothing, I have another antler in my pack that I will stash while he is out looking. I do this so he will at least fell like he found something every time he looks for it. It works! He found a matching set last year that scored 142" without the spread added in. Maybe after a while I will not need to fool him to get him to search for them. He seems to enjoy doing it, it may be because I get so excited every time I see him coming through the woods carrying one in his mouth.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:17 am

I have read about this and have a lab.  However my big buddy is 6 years old so you know how the saying goes.....

When I do get a new pup it will be a lab and I will do everything in my power to train it to find sheds...I need all the help I can get.  I am normally only good for about 10-15 a year.  I don't have a lot of good places to look though.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:41 am

Actually my big guy was about 5 when I started training him to shed hunt. Although I had already trained him when he was a pup for the bird and duck hunting. They all love to fetch and retrieve anything they can, it's in their blood, hints the name. If you play with him with an antler for a while, then take him to the woods for a walk while shed hunting, you may be surprised what he drags up.

Return to Shed Hunting