A reminder....

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
msbadger

A reminder....

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:32 am

Well you'd think I'd learn my lesson but they caught me off guard again...Ground bees...if you've never been attacked ...bless you ...if you have you know the agony of just a few stings...So please remember it's not just the bees in the trees and brush you may be clearing for shooting lanes now...it's the bees under foot as well...they are dangerous and relentless in their pursuit once an attack starts...Run...run fast and swat....even if it's just your hat ...or a leafy branch ....get something on them right away and keep benadryl on hand...ice them down and if you start feeling light headed call your Dr. right away...these things have nothing on african honey bees

John1961

RE: A reminder....

Postby John1961 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks Ms B.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 am

Those ground bees are mean little bastards . I have been attacked twice in the past and the pain from their sting is intense ! I use to try to burn them out but found a bee bomb works better . It kills them where they live ..........

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... ction=view¤t=16ae7acb.flv
Semper Fi !

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:19 am

I have found three nests this year. On by/in my wood pile, another by my uncle's shop, and yesterday when a friend and I were hanging a buddy stand. We got it to the tree we wanted and as I was on my way back to get the ladder pieces I stepped over an old cedar log and several inches from the the nest and I saw them swarming all around. I yelled "BEES!!!" and we took off running. I only got stung once but wow do those little things pack a punch! I was really expecting us to get hit by more of them but fortunately only got hit by the one.

I know people are saying bees are disappearing but the last 2 years this one apple tree finally started producing again (can't 100% confirm that its because of the bees)and then this year is the only time I have ever encountered them on the land we hunt.

One of my uncles stepped on a nest quite a few years back and was swollen up so bad that the only way I could tell it was him was the fact that he was wearing a sweat shirt that he always wears.

I also had a cousin who actually fell on a nest a few years back as well and they stung the crap out of him. He had them all tangled in his "mullet" and everything.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 am

Reeper ...I'm glad they didn't get you worse....you know honey bees are suppose to be disappearing but these nasty ground bees are stepping into the void!...I was just saying in the photo corner they got me again!....It was nearly dark and I stepped up into the hedge row infront of the house to get pics of the deer....I thought the buzzing I heard were skeeters until the stinging began...camera swinging ( thank the heavens I did'nt hit a tree) I was yelling and running for the house ...dropped camera in a chair and hit the bathroom and started brushing out my hair like a crazy person...3 of those stinking bees fell to the floor...got my hand ...neck and head...we found the nest the next day 4ft. from where I had been standing...I've never heard of bees attacking in the dark [>:]...they're dead now!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

well I'm glad you are ok msbadger! They are some nasty little things! I got hit in the back of the leg in the hamstring and it still is uncomfortable today. The only time I have heard of bees stinging at dark is when one of my brilliant friends was shining a spot light on a nest looking at it[8|]

What did you do to get rid of them? I have heard several different ways but I dont know what route I'm going to go yet. Any suggestions?
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks reeper and I'd be glad to...it came from an industrial catalog(construction) and it is called Crown wasp & hornet spray....Mr B. shot a 10ft stream into their 2 enterance holes and we ran...hour later I snuck up and watched hundreds...over a period of time...fly into the nest...but not one came out! [:D]

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness