How much for a bag of corn ?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
duckunder

How much for a bag of corn ?

Postby duckunder » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 am

I'm thinking about planting a couple acres of roundup ready corn next year... I cant remember how much a standard bag of corn is...... I think they are 100 lb bags if I remember correct.....   Does $ 250 a bag sound right to anyone. ?

ranwin33

RE: How much for a bag of corn ?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 am

I was thinking I paid $109 a bag for RR corn last year, but I also think it was in a 50# bag.  I'll have to check my spreadsheets.  It might have been two years ago.  I know RR beans were a LOT cheaper.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Modeerhunter

Postby Modeerhunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Just over $100/50# for RR corn here in mid Mo too. RR beans have been running about $40/50# 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:23 am

So I have to ask you guys...do most farmers now use rr ready corn? If so and they are selling bags of feed corn for $8 a bag...why not just buy the $8 bag of feed corn and plant that?

I planted an area as an experiment and all the corn the citters did'nt get germinated and grew...even with the deer constantly chomping it down ...it regrew...I guess next year Ill plant the whole #50 and then spray a section to see if it's rr.....I'm so cheap...I can't wrap around $100+ for a bag of corn [&o]

Modeerhunter

Postby Modeerhunter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 am

I'm no farmer, so I can't really answer that question, but my guess is YES, most use RR products. No weed or grass competition allows all of the fertilizer to be used by the crop and makes for much higher yields. 

I use them so I can keep weeds and grasses from taking over my plots. I have alot of trouble with Johnsongrass and foxtail, several years of RR products and spraying applications greatly reduces them and allows me to rotate back to perennials in those plots. I also plant bin run corn and beans in plots where I don't have the problems with grass and weed competition.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 am

Most if not all farmers in our area use RR corn and soybeans.  My guess is that bag that you were talking about msbadger, isn't RR ready.  But, I have been wrong before!  [;)]  You could plant a few and spray 'em and see what happens, like you said.  I think I bought a #50 bag of RR soybeans for $46 this year. 
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 am

I understand that what you're getting at is that the feed corn may be roundup ready simply because most farmers now plant RR corn and the feed corn comes from that.

Not sure how that works, what I do know is that to buy RR corn seed you have to sign some type of statement saying you will not resell the seeds for planting from what grows. Or something to that effect.

My guess would be that the feed corn you buy isn't roundup ready, but would be an interesting experiment to spray it and see what happens.

My experience with corn is that we can't plant a big enough plot to let it get to the point where it's growing ears before the deer, coons and other animals strip it clean. We've planted plots up to two acres in size, and even those are stripped clean well before season starts. My advice, go with beans. They tend to grow back even after being browsed.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks guys...I can see the $46 dollars for the RR beans but the corn prices RR ready or not are all over inflated

Ranwin you bring up an interesting point...if the farmer has to sign a non reproductive contract...than the only other options are to sell for human or animal consumption....so it could be feed corn..and that contract would'nt apply to me....

I only grow the corn as a screen from the road and hunters west of me...so they can't see whats in my food plots...the experiment plot this year did it's job and I planted it late enough that it wont have a chance to tassle out ...making it a good cover for the deer ..turkey...and grouse.....It got a ton of weeds (new broken ground ) but is growing really well.....I'm expanding that plot next year so I'll just move the corn planting out and spray and plant annuals where the corn is this year until weeds are under control....then strip clover/alfalfa in future with a corn fence...[;)]

Skinner Creek Stalkr

Postby Skinner Creek Stalkr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Just a side not to these posts would be my great success using both RR beans and corn within the same plot. Two years ago i purchased this similar mix from biologic in their biomaxx blend. I understand that what I now plant is not identical to what biologic offers. However, I can go down to my local coop and purchase two 50# bags of RR beans and one 50# bag of RR corn and drill away. This has proved to be much cheaper than the Biologic mix and equally as effective. Total cost for this 150# of mix at my local coop ran my approximately $250 this spring. This allowed me to plant 2 separate plots totaling 5 acres. The cost of the biologic blend would be approximately $400.00 to plant the same acerage.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management