I recently bought the new Easy Buck by Carrylite after using my brothers for the last couple of years. I have used decoys for the last couple of years and have had some great encounters using them.
My brother shot a nice 10 pt last year on Nov. 1st over a decoy in a standing bean field. I also had a great encounter with a nice buck but both of his beams were busted off right after his brows. The shot opportunities with that deer were incredible. He came across a 4 acre bean field all puffed up and ready to rock.
I personally cant wait to get the decoy out in late Oct.
Some of the stuff that I have learned while using a decoy:
- The decoy itself has to be absolutely scent free (use latex gloves when handling)
- If I use scents such as dominant buck I will either spray it on a branch underneath the decoy or a scent wick hanging from the decoy.
- For a buck decoy, have the decoy quartering to you. For a doe decoy, have the decoy quartering away from you. Reason for this is that you want the deer to approach the decoy so that the end he wants to deal with is facing you. For a buck that is the decoys head and for a doe it is the rear end.
- I place my decoy out about 20 to 25 yards because in a perfect world the deer will circle the decoy and head to the business end.
-It can be a good idea to set your decoy up about 100 yards away from where you are gonna hunt so that you are not trying to put it together where you are hunting, then when you get to your location you can just stake it in the ground and spray it down.
-The deer should be able to see the decoy from a long distance, this will help the deer not spook when they first see it.
-Also, keep in mind that some deer will react negatively to the decoy, so don't think it is a no lose situation. If you are after younger bucks they may spook and want nothing to do with the decoy. (Although I have had spikes come up and challenge the decoy)
- If you use scents and calls with a decoy, you are using all three of their senses to your advantage. Hearing, smelling, and seeing.
- The best times for me in WI have been Oct. 20th through Nov. 10th (using a buck decoy)
There are many other tips and some of mine may be wrong, so please chime in and share your experiences!
Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....