tree saddles

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
wisbowhntr

RE: tree saddles

Postby wisbowhntr » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:48 am

Hey guys I got a saddle a week ago and yesterday I was using it on my tree in the front yard and all I can say is WOW I LOVE IT. It took me aliitle bit of getting it set up right but then after that I had no problem .Then I got my bow and practiced pulling bow back while in it and it was diffrent but I got used to pulling it back in it .I tell you I think I will be able to sit in that saddle all day and be very comfey in it.Oh yea I  got the ambush saddle here.Next thing I need to do is shoot my bow while in it and also do some scouting in it once to see how well I can hide up in the tree with it.I am going to use some API stackin steps with it and also use a couple stap on steps for the platfom base at the top of my other steps.This should make going into the wood alot easier than hauling a stand on my back.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:37 am

Holy Cow guys what a educational forumImage  It started by The Turkey Guy 10/21/08 and with Post #81 being the last one by Wisbowhntr on 8/3/09.  I started hunting in the late mid 1950's in Maine and got to say that I never heard of a Tree Saddle until the other night when I was surfing the forums to see what I could learn and stumbled on this.  Since I have a hard time getting a lot of info to sink in looking at it on the screen, I copied the details on an e-mail and sent it to myself.  I printed out the 14 pages and now have a good feel of what it is and how it is used, thanks to the many that contributed.  I am ready to buy one and strape it to a tree in my back yard.  I see in the Cabelas cat. that they offer a Realtree Tree Saddle for $199.99.  From your experience, is this the place to buy or are there other sources and models that are better.  Please give me your thoughts.  Thanks, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Tom,

the saddle is a good piece of gear, I got one last fall and have been playing with it since...but found out its not for me, or at least its not the answer I was hoping for.  Don't get me wrong, once your in the saddle its great, but for me the problem was getting up the tree.  I like to run and gun and have upwards of a dozen possible stand sites and that can change for me season to season.  As a result I would have to prep a lot of trees with screw in steps (where allowed) or bring in climbing sticks.  I personally don't like to mess with all that the morning or afternoon of a hunt.  Some folks can do it, like turkey guy and others here who posted, rather quickly, 15 mins or less...I'm not one of them, I recall the first time it took me over an hour to screw enough steps in to get up to the desired height.  So for that reason I use climbing tree stands, specifically the lone wolf which is very light and portable and I can walk up to a tree that morning and be up in 5-10 mins ready to hunt.  I have not totally given up on it, because as I said once I was in it, it was definitely the shiznit, comfortable and highly maneuverable.  Maybe once I figure out a way to get up the tree with less hassle I'll switch back to the saddle.

As for the saddle itself, I got mine off ebay for $130 new...Cabelas and Bass Pro had them on sale for about $99 not that lone ago so i guess now that the season is upon us they have gone back to regular pricing...but you can definitely do better than $199 on ebay..matter of fact just looked and saw one for $169 with Free Shipping!  Also make sure you go one size less than the sizing chart provided...according to the sizing chart I was a large, and in truth a medium would have fit better.  lots of luck, once your in it you will love it!

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 am

DeanoZ, Thanks very much for for your inputs, I appreciate it.  Being a run & gun guy, I can understand your issues with the Tree Saddle.  I am the type that can stay perched up a tree on a small platform for 8-10 hours and enjoy the h--- out of it regardless of the weather and how many whitetails I see.  I heard Jeff Foxworthy say once that there are good days & bad days on the golf course, but he has not every had a bad day in the woods regardless of the conditions.  I saw him speak at a QDM convention a few years ago and his "You are a redneck when" jokes with a hunting twist to them had all in stitches.Image  Anyway, I hunt on my cousins 350 acre farm in Upstate NY and really don't have any restrictions regarding drilling holes in trees, etc. so I can set up six or so trees on a permanent basis with screw ins.  You can get them pretty cheap @ Walmart.  I can also take one of my platforms that I am not using and put it on the top.  I will try a few arrangements and see what works best. I will check out Ebay and see what kind of a deal I can get from them.  I guess a tree saddle is a tree saddle so as far as options or features there is not much to choose from.  Thanks again for your help & I will keep all appraised of my progress.
[size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][color="#ff0000"]
[/color][/align]

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:12 am

i would say that you call tyler at trophy line at 1866 444 hunt and tell him i told you to call at least you will get some who knows how size them and a free pair of knee pads thanks rob.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks Turkey Guy, I will do that.  [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

wisbowhntr

Postby wisbowhntr » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Ok guys I kinda changed my set up for my T-SADDLE.I got two of the Gorrilla folding sticks today and will use them and my three API stackin steps to get up the tree and as a platform to stand on.I will use one of the stackin step on the other side of the tree as the platform for that side.I am guessing that this whole set of steps will be around or maybe a tad over 5#s to carry in the woods with me.I am also going to see if there is some way to get them strapped to my day pack that I carry on my back.I think I have a good idea about going that way. Will let you know how it works out for me.

wisbowhntr

Postby wisbowhntr » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Guys if you are looking for a Tree Saddle look on Archery Talk .There are always someone selling them at a good price.I got my Ambush saddle for $145.00  to my door.That was a darn good price seeing what they go for at the big stores or on their website.Just alittle FYI for you guys looking for one.[:)]

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:12 pm

hi guys and girls i thought i would put up a few of the 7 setups we did and see who can spot them. may i also take this time to say how much easier it was to set up this year with out pull'en 30 to 40 pounds up the tree and how much better my back feels. so here is a few pictures and once again can i say i love the saddle. thanks all rob.
which tree
same which tree
setting up
the view from that tree.

hunt4ever

RE: tree saddles - Post #89

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:19 am

Turkey Guy,
Just thought I would let you know that I talked to Tyler Mitton of Trophyline USA a couple of weeks ago per your suggestion and told him you sent me. Tyler was very help. I ordered the medium size Trophyline Stealth tree saddle from Bass Pro Shops for $199 minus $20 special they had going and am scheduled to receive it next Tuesday, 22 Sept.  From all the posts on tree saddles here, I think I could have gone with a large size, but a medium is all they had in stock.  I am 5'-10" with a waist of 38', tooooooo big!!!!  IMO I could have purchased a used one or purchased a cheaper one thou EBay or other source. However, since I have never used a tree saddle before, I wanted to go with a major supplier in case I don't like it or have problems.  Our bow season starts Oct. 17th here in upstate NY and I can't waitImage  Thanks for your advice, [size="4"]Tom Mac[/size]

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands