Do you leave one or more stands up through the winter?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
fasteddie

RE: Do you leave one or more stands up through the winter?

Postby fasteddie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:31 am

Some of my older hang-ons had the old type Canvas seats . When I sat in one my butt would sink a little and the support bar would dig into the back of my legs . After a couple years , the canvas would rot . I cut some plywood squares , rounded the corners and drilled some holes . I then ty-wrapped the plywood to the supports that hold the canvas . A flatter , firmer seat . I take one of my seat pads with me when I use one of those stands .
Semper Fi !

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:06 am

I have two hanger style stands that I leave up year round. I check them every spring and check again in the summer. One of them is basically part of the tree now and I not sure how I will get it off the tree. I have also had damage done to the seats during the off season by various critters. Overall I have had to very little to make sure they are safe.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:32 am

The front plywood panel comes off of my bos type treestands so that you can get in and out of the stand.  This is the piece that usually get schewed by the critters. I think they are attracted to the glue in the plywood. I now mix ceyenne red pepper with the paint.  It helps.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:51 am

Me and my buddy leave ours out all year. In fact, we will be putting another one on a good ridgeline next weekend. We will be tightning and working on shooting lanes as well.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:30 am

I usually leave mine up all year. If I had the time I would like to take them all down every year becuase it would make them last alot longer. I have had a ladder stand out for at least 5 years and all I do is take it down and replace bolts and straps every 2 years. It takes the squeaks and such out of it.  And Hang ons should be loosened to account for tree growage.....

Previous

Return to Tree Stands