Ladder Stands, Love or Hate?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
shadow

Ladder Stands, Love or Hate?

Postby shadow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:52 am

I can't believe it... I set up 2 ladder stands 4-5 months ago and went back today to tighten things up and to trim some lanes.
I'll tell you, I will never hunt on private land again without using a ladder stand. The ease of use. Climb up the rungs and your in.  Its quiet, comfortable and roomy. I am buying another and will set that one up this weekend.

I have always used a climber and on a few occasions homemade permanent stands but a ladder stand does not compare.
With a climber as you know its haul it in, put it on tree, get on it, climb, etc.. it takes time and sometimes a little noisy.
I sat out there today just taking it all in enjoying the view and safety aspect of having a couple ladder stands out there. 

So I must say..... I think I will really enjoy hunting from my ladder stands!!  

DoeEyed

RE: Ladder Stands, Love or Hate?

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 am

Love mine! Feel much safer sitting in a ladder stand than a hang on.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:51 am

I have several ladder stands . Dick's usually has them for $60 and I get coupons for $10 off a $50 purchase . Can't beat that price for 15' ladder stands . They are sturdy and have an adjustable support that fits between the ladder and tree . Two Thumbs Up !
Semper Fi !

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:56 am

We have 6 on our land and they are alright.  The only thing I don't like is when your walking up the ladder the ladder can make some noise and could spook deer that are close by.  Otherwise they are good.
Scott

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 am

I love mine! Only way to hunt!

I feel safer, and more secure in one than a climber!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 am

The ladder stand was the first stand I ever bought many years ago.. I shot a few deer out of it as a youngster and enjoyed it..However over the years I noticed that I was getting busted in those stands, and turned to hang on stands. I really enjoy the hang on stands now as I have over 6 of them. I stoped liking the ladder stands after that, because they where way to low.. 12', 15' at max.. Now they have ones that go all the way up to 20'! I used one of these 20's last year and really enjoyed them. I will be using them again, lets just put it that way.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29 am

I love mine! especially the ones made by Big Game.  Short, Tall, Big or Small they got them to cover all the bases.  Every one of them is well made too.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:57 am

ORIGINAL: passin through

I love mine! especially the ones made by Big Game.  Short, Tall, Big or Small they got them to cover all the bases.  Every one of them is well made too.

Ditto all that. Big Game stands are the only stands I have bought. I have 2 20' ladder stands, the partner 2 person ladder stand and the apex tripod.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:38 pm

We have a good mix of everything (hanger, ladder, and homemade permanents).  From time to time I still use my climber as well.

For me I would have to agree with Deer Camp.  I am more of a hanger type guy.  I prefer to be higher up, but once the set is in place it is very quite and comfortable.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:43 pm

We have them all too, hang-ons, permanent ladder stands, climbers, and now we bought some 17' Jack Pine ladder stands made by Rivers Edge and I really like them.
I can see us using more of these and kind of switching to them. They are nice for my dad to get in and out of and honestly I feel a lot safer having him out out of them. They will also be nice for when the new generation starts hunting.
The hang-ons and climber are still nice to have for that quick quiet setup.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Tree Stands