Acorns and Beachnuts

NYarcher

Acorns and Beachnuts

Postby NYarcher » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:56 am

Was out walking and noticed that alot of the oaks and beach trees are already dropping. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Gotta figure the wacky weather this year has contributed.
Venison - the other red meat

msbadger

RE: Acorns and Beachnuts

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 am

our beech started dropping 2 weeks ago but now it's picked up....no acorns this year here [&o]...and I have to take a trip to camp pretty soon to see whats up there ..we have acorns and big ones down there....I'm glad I put in alot more buckwheat this yeardeer and turkey still hitting it hard and there are turkey bowls allaround the out side edge...I think they like turnip greens too[:)]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:05 pm

One of my sons and myself were out checking spots for possible stand placement this afternoon in Mendon . Saw acorns on the ground from the White Oaks but none in the trees .
Semper Fi !

blehr621

Postby blehr621 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:30 pm

acorns started dropping aug. 24th at my house, exactly 1 day later than last year (I keep track yearly of such events). there are tons of them this year around my house. i pick up the ones around my yard, soak them in liquid c'meredeer and dump them at the oak near my stand. weird, I always get a deer at that stand...
You can't eat the horns, but it sure is difficult to show off your meat when you have guests over...

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:45 am

dropping here
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 am

ORIGINAL: NYarcher

Was out walking and noticed that alot of the oaks and beach trees are already dropping. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Gotta figure the wacky weather this year has contributed.

Very good crop of acorns this year, both here on the island & up at the farm. We still call it the farm, but it hasn't been a farm since the early 50's. Nature has so thoroughly reclaimed the land, you'd never know it was once a farm.

We have a lot of Oaks in both places & I know how those deer love those nuts. All the more reason to control the rat population ... or sorry, I meant squirrel population ... for every acorn they eat, they bury 20 more.[:@]

Return to New York