Any mineral plans?

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
FFKEVIN

RE: Any mineral plans?

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:31 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Great information - nice to see it all in one place. 

I think I have read somewhere that no one is quite certain what deer really need in a supplement so it's all a guess anyway.

We put out minerals figuring if done responsibly it's not going to hurt the herd - and anecdotally can say we have seen bigger racks on deer since we started doing so.  But, and a big but, we also started doing this two years after APR's came out, so who knows for sure if the minerals have any real effect on our property.  We'll continue to do it though - the deer seem to like them.

[font="Tahoma"]No problem again.

This might be a dumb question... What is an APR?[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

lpoutfitters

Postby lpoutfitters » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:56 am

ive used several diff things in my mineral spot.. been using the same place for about 7yrs now and it used to be an old rotted stump which is completly gone. i use 2 50lb trace mineral blocks, 50lbs trace mineral salt and 50lbs of rock salt or stock salt. occasionally a trophy rock or 2 and some deer cocaine. and i try and put apples and corn out on my site in late summer and early fall as seen in my pics.. i have had awesome results with this ovr the last few yrs...

Skinner Creek Stalkr

Postby Skinner Creek Stalkr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I have been a long time viewer of these forums but just registered today so I figured I would let it rip with a question pertaining to this topic. Does anyone know the actualy mineral content breakdown of the "Trophy Rock" mineral supplement? I am a game biologist in Wisconsin and have been asked this question several times. Any help would be great.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Skinner Creek Stalkr, welcome to the forum.  What part of WI are you from?  I'm also from this great state!  West-central, St. Croix Count.  Not sure I can answer your question though...Sure someone on here would know!
QDM!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 am

ORIGINAL: Skinner Creek Stalkr

I have been a long time viewer of these forums but just registered today so I figured I would let it rip with a question pertaining to this topic. Does anyone know the actualy mineral content breakdown of the "Trophy Rock" mineral supplement? I am a game biologist in Wisconsin and have been asked this question several times. Any help would be great.

[font="Tahoma"]Not sure that this will answer your question, but, from what I understand, Trophy Rock is mined out of a natural, mineral, stone quarry. Since the mineral balance can be different in any given area of the quarry, each individual rock will have a different ratio of minerals. So basically like snowflakes, no two trophy rocks are alike, and there is no way to tell what the ratio of minerals is in each rock because to analyze each one would cost way too much money.

I hope this helps...[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Skinner Creek Stalkr

Postby Skinner Creek Stalkr » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:29 am

I live and work in Sauk Co. but grew up in Price Co. so I do most of my hunting there on my family farm.

My understanding was very similar. Being that naturally occuring substances, like the trophy rock, are an uneven matrix of composition it would be incredibly hard to determine its makeup. I have had clients that are have used this product with outstanding results as pertains to attraction. However, I was not sure if it was due to a high salt content or because of a high and desirable nutritional content. Unless I can find out any different I will now be reccomending an addiontal mineral blend to their nutritional program.

rvanbw00

Postby rvanbw00 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:52 pm

I have used the homemade mineral mix now for two years. I realize that decent genetics are present on the land I hunt, but in order maximize the genes present and aid in the herd's recent battle with Blue Toungue, Id say it has helped. You be the judge.

rvanbw00

Postby rvanbw00 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Deer from this year and last

Shoot em with their feet down

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements