Ladder Stands, Love or Hate?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Ifishandhunt

RE: Ladder Stands, Love or Hate?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:53 pm

I love my ladder stand. It's my favorite. I have two hang-ons as well, but I find myself frequenting the ladder stand much more than the other two. I feel safer because it is easy and sturdy to climb, and it seems bigger on the seat area and the foot rest area. It is more comfortable than my hang-ons too and much easier to put up on a tree (especially alone if you have no other choice). I did buy a new hang-on this year with a shooting rail and a sling seat, so I will put it to the comparison test this year. I also feel the ladder stand is safer for my 11 year old son. He was helping me rehang a hang-on last weekend and relocating the ladder stand. He was up and down that ladder stand real easy, but when he tried to climb the climbing sticks, he slipped on his way down and missed two rungs. Luckily he landed safely but he ended up getting a nasty scrape on his side from a rung on the climibing stick. Those climbing stick can be awkward.

On a side note... I am so siked... only 24 more days until archery season opening day here in Ohio. It's all I can think about. I am ate up with it. I want to get in a tree now!!!

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Some of you guys may remember my post last year regarding a stand on a tree line.  My dilemma was placing a ladder stand right on a crossing at a field edge.  Thanks for all the good advice!  Well, it was an issue last year but this year I have tons of pics with the ladder in the back ground and the deer dont seem to care at all.  It's 20' up and after a season in the woods  I think it just as effective as a climber etc. just not as portable.  For a piece of private land you cant go better!  Maybe not now but later.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:35 pm

Just remember to wear a safety harness . No sense in being a statistic ! [8|]
Semper Fi !

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:06 pm

I absolutely love ladder stands!  I just wish there were more spots to put them on the property I hunt.  My spot is very open and not much trees.  I actually only have 1 ladder stand, some exisiting homemade stands, 1 hang on, and 3 ground blinds.

I would take a ladder stand any day though if given the choice. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

S.W.A.T. 33

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I own one ladder stand it is a two man i love the room. But when your hunting public land the only way to go is a hang on. Ladder stands are just way to heavy
SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 am

Pretty sure I love them ...I have 5 and I ve built a couple as well...but I also have hang ons and I now build those as well...Couple of pics one is a 16ft ladder stand I built and the other is one of my first hang on type...I now use heavy chain support instead of bottom wood supports...

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/scan0001.jpg" border="0" alt="stands"></a>

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:02 am

Ladder stands is all we use.  Leave them up year round and check bolts during the summer to make sure nothing is loose.  Some are better than others, I like those that are a little wider in the seat.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:21 pm

I can understand changing out the straps when worn or eaten, but what about the bolts?
I have had my stands up for only 4 months or so and notice the bolts are stained with surface rust.
These bolts aren't galvanized but should they all be rplaced after a certain period?
As some people here are indicating stands are left out for years,will these, and have your stand bolts eventually rust out when left out for so long?

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:54 pm

ORIGINAL: S.W.A.T. 33

I own one ladder stand it is a two man i love the room. But when your hunting public land the only way to go is a hang on. Ladder stands are just way to heavy

Take an old lawn fertilizer spreader . Disconnect the rotating part. Strap your ladderstand sections to the spreader and wheel your stand to your location . Takes the back work out of the equation !
Semper Fi !

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:38 pm

I like to use ladder stands on crooked trees that have lots of limbs for cover and hang on stands for those straight trees you need to get up high in. I do find myself choosing ladder stands for those morning ascents in the dark especially with dew or rain. Don't mind climbing 20 feet of sticks in the light if they are dry.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands