Hanging Tree Stands

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
mb915

Hanging Tree Stands

Postby mb915 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:39 am

This will be my first year every hunting out of a hanging treestand.  Have used a climbing treestand the last ten years, but some of the spots I have recently discovered in the National Forest are a long walk, and up the side of a steep mountain.  I plan to hang the two stands I purchased this weekend.  Went with a Gorilla King Kong HX.

Just looking for any advice/tips people could supply that may be useful.  I have my HSS Harness and will also be using a linemens belt.  So think I have the safety items covered. 

Thanks for your input.

FFKEVIN

RE: Hanging Tree Stands

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Take a buddy to help and for safety!!![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:23 am

Rig a pully to a piece of rope or webbing...that is long enough to tie to your tree...have another rope twice the length of height you want to be...tie one end to stand and string other thru pully.......climb ...tie the pully in well above where you want to hang the stand....climb down and then pull stand to the correct height and tie off to a tree....climb postion stand and ratchet it tight....make sure your waring your safety harness and secured to the tree while climbing ...Good luck

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:29 pm

You might want to make sure it is legal to leave a hang on stand in a tree in a national forest overnight. I'm not sure it is or isn't.

mathews331

Postby mathews331 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:13 pm

I always bring a friend when i go out to hang the sets, they are good to help carry things and essential when cutting quality shooting lanes! bring a good handsaw and pruning saw, also bring a bowholder and a pull up string so u are completely ready when the season comes!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:36 am

Well every year I make a new stand...wont have time for the new property ...closing in a week ...but I made a hang on style for camp.....Ya ya they are so in expensive why bother....I have the PT and the chains.... deck hangers and nails ...so why not...[;)]...It weighs about 35 pounds and I'll use a pulley to get it to the right height...being so big...who's going to want to steatl the thing[:)].....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Holy cow! sorry that pic is so big!!!..we switched to firefox and it won't let me copy and paste from my photo bucket page....any helpful Ideas would be welcome...[:D]

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Get a rachet strap and a long rope. I'm assuming that you will also be using a strap on ladder.

Steps

1. Safety harness
2. Attach ladder.
3. Attach rope to the stand.
4. Climb tree w/ the rachet strap hooked to your back pocket.
5. Put the rachet strap loosly around the tree 2' above where you will be sitting and put the rope (large diameter preferably) through the strap and loop the rope around the ladder.
6. Lift the stand. The rope that is wrapped around the ladder bars should self tighten, but will probably need you to hold on.
7. Secure it in place as per the manufacturs recommendations.

Bring a buddy if you can, but this is how I do it when by myself. Enjoy.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:33 am

Here is Msbadgers picture from post #6

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:25 pm

That's a pretty sweet looking stand there msbadger! 
QDM!

Next

Return to Tree Stands