One Buck a Year

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
Demoderby4

RE: One Buck a Year

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 am

Like Tim said, in MI you can buy a "combo" tag for the entire hunting season that lets you take 2 bucks for the whole year, but one has to have 4 tines on one side. Or you can buy an altlered tag for gun and a separate one for bow. As well as antlerless tags at will for both seasons most the time. Taking a buck with a bow is not walk in the park, getting one is a heck of a challenge and even if you do get lucky enough to take a buck with your bow you still have the rest of the season to take out some does and stuff that freezer full, and at least you can still be out there in the woods, even if you have to let the rest of the years bucks walk, but seeing em will get your mind preparing for next year and what ones you really wanna take out! Don't let the one buck thing turn you off, i used to be a serious gun only hunter, but their is nothing like bow hunting, i love it!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:55 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Ohio's the same one buck a year, and several antlerless deer.  Been that way for as long as I can remember.

[font="Tahoma"]Yep [:@][/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:05 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

I do not hunt there, but looking at their regs, it looks like you are correct. Although, it does look like you might be able to "party hunt".

Hopefully they will be able to answer you better under the MN thread.

I've hunted in MN since 1997 and I believe it's been that way each year.  One buck per season, regardless of weapon.  It's kind of a buzzkill.  I have not found it to be too much of an issue.  Like Goose stated above, we can party hunt, so that helps.  My main hunting area happens to be in a "lottery" zone.  This means I can only tag one deer per season (in that zone) regardless of weapon.  Again, party hunting allows me to keep hunting as long as I have a licensed hunter nearby.

I have not found it to be too much of an issue. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting this in the MN forum.  I'll check out the link you provided.

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 am

Ky has had the one buck law in affect for many years now. If your a meat hunter it really doesn't affect you much because you can kill as many does as you like if you buy the extra doe tags and hunt in the zones that allow this, and there are many in the state. If you hunt for horns, or not, it makes you think before you pull the trigger on the first buck you see. Which allows the bucks to mature. We didn't like it much when it first went into effect, but it sure has improved the buck to doe ratio, and quality of the bucks you see. If you enjoy the wild outdoors as much as I do, you'll do anything to be in the woods anytime you can, whether you can shoot a buck or not.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Wow, I can't imagine that. We don't have tags for bucks here we have a 2 buck per day limit, no season limit, season is 5 months, and can use rifle on private lands all season. SC game zone 6.
South Carolina Low Country

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 am

I hunt in NJ and part of the reason nice bucks are few and far between is because we can harvest up to 5 bucks per year.
Fall/Permit Bow -1 buck, unlimited anterless
Winter Bow - 1 buck, unlimited anterless
6-Day Firearm - 2 bucks, NO anterless unless permit is purchased
Permit Gun - 1 buck (unless 2 were harvested during 6-day), unlimited anterless
Muzzleloader - 1 buck, unlimited anterless
IMO, the buck harvest numbers should be decreased, especially being we can shoot unlimited anterless deer so freezers are always full. I also think that a great idea would be for hunters in NJ to purchase one buck tag at the beginning of the season that can be used through all seasons, and if a buck is harvested, a second and FINAL buck tag could also be purchased for the remaining seasons. That would reduce the buck harvests to 2 per hunter per year, which I think is fair. One thing to note is that as is now, the majority of our buck tags need to be purchased individually per season per zone. It is ridiculously expensive to hunt in NJ, but you got to pay to play, I guess.

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:57 am

Your assumption is correct in that you can only legally shoot one buck per year but I know people that get around this and do it anyway. I won't say how as I don't agree with it and I would not do it, but to each his own.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 am

You can legally shoot more than 1 buck, but you cannot TAG more than one.  Party hunting is 100% legal. 

So, you could tag a buck during the bow season.....and then party hunt during gun season and shoot another buck. 

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks for the correction Patriot, you are 100% correct.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

PreviousNext

Return to Regulatory issues