What No Crossbow Hunters?

al k

RE: What No Crossbow Hunters?

Postby al k » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:37 pm

I purchased one of the first TenPoint Phantoms last year. Tagged 6 deer with it in 2007 and the same number so far in 2008. Awsome weapon, but it is still a bow and will not make up for poor stand placement, wrong range estimation or sloppy shooting skills.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Everything was tight. It is just all over the place. I'm looking at the Parker Cyclone and Excalibur right now.
From those who much is given, much is expected

coach

Postby coach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:04 pm

I've shot a Ten Point....and now Excalibur Pheonix.  I will always stick with a recurve now.
I've found to be more accurate, regardless if its 100 or 125 grain.  No difference until you shoot over 40 yards.  . 
To each our own right >
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Be sure that when you cock your bow that you are pulling it straight back.  That can effect windage.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:06 am

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

Be sure that when you cock your bow that you are pulling it straight back.  That can effect windage.

My fingers were tight against the rail. Maybe it was still me. I've bought an Excalibur. Hopefully it should be here this week. I'm also going to use a heavier broadhead.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Fishinfred

Postby Fishinfred » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Well Im 68 and hunt with my crossbow and love it I also hunt firearms season with my S&W .44 mag with 83/8 inch barrel Its good to 100 yds
My Parker Cyclone is a great short range weapon and extremely accurate and I love the MAP scope Its shooting 1/4 inch groups at 20 yds and 1 inch groups at 40 yds I doubt I will shoot at greater distances here in Missouri
Being handicaped the cross bow actually gives me 5 month that I can deer hunt which beats the 10 days you get with firearms
Good Luck to you all
Fishinfred

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:23 am

I have also had an injury move me to a crossbow. I shoot the Barnett
predator. This bow is unbelivably fast. I shoot the single 5mm red dot.
Sight in 1" high at 20yds, And it shoots 1" low at 40yds. Thats a big advantage to me. Im going to practice at longer ranges this year, As
I believe this bow to be deadly out to at least 60yds.
My buddy has a higher end ten point that does not compair to the
much cheaper Barnett.
As far as the crossbow cribabies from Mi go. I bet when there in the
rifle zones, They dont use there shotguns.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:28 am

I was born and lived in MI for 50 yrs. I was partly resposible for the passage of the handicap crossbow legislation. I must say I never thought I'd see the day they would be included with the reg bow season. Just shows anything is possible. Other states will come onboard eventually. I now reside in Iowa. I have severe curvature of the spine. I started out with a recurve back in the day, but soon had pain in a sport that was supposed to be fun. Crossbows like all weapons have thier drawbacks,,,and limitations. My young friend has a souped up Recurve,,with all the gadgets on it and it is whisper quiet. You can'y say that for a X-bow. And,,deer CAN,,outjump the T_W_A_N_G,,,.I think another reason Officials have changed their tune. The archery pop is getting older,,dropping out of bow season,,,less revenue. More $$$$$, if you can keep the old guys huntin!

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:35 am

Hello, ihave been hunting with a cb as long as my state has allowed it. I found that when i shot a fixed blade broadheads , because the cb shot so fast it would wind plane and shot all over the place.But when i shot a 2 blade rage i could shoot very tight groups under 40 yards all the time. I will never shoot anything else!
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 pm

I felt the same way. I was not happy to see the compound come about, let alone a crossbow. But here I am, I own both, and still have some recurves, but not used for many years. It is wise, as with any weapon, to make sure it is sighted in. This year, had to resight the scope in. Don't know why, but it was off some. For sighting in, I like to use a bench rest with cushion bags. That way I'm sure it's right on.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

PreviousNext

Return to Crossbows