Hows your fall mast looking?

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
cbhunter

RE: Hows your fall mast looking?

Postby cbhunter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Reds were loaded, but not much on the few whites I have. Haven't checked lately to see if they're dropping, but the two reds in my yard are.

wolfpack

Postby wolfpack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 pm

white oaks are the ones to be around when deer are into the acorns

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 am

My friend and I just returned from NW. Mich. We hunted nat.forest land. There were acorns everywhere. There were so many it was almost impossible to pattern the deer. Nearly every ridge was covered with them. It was our first time we hunted there, although we had scouted the area earlier. We thought we had it made, but when we got there there was so much sign and it was scattered everywhere, we couldn't figure them out.We saw a few deer but there didn't seem to be a pattern. If anyone has any tips on hunting the big woods areas, I would sure appreciate your advice. We know that deer are edge animals but it the big woods we couldn't find the same type of edges we were used to hunting. I am from Ohio. We hunt the big woods areas of southern Ohio but there are edges in that woods. There are stands of pines. There are breaks in the woods but we found none of that in the nat. forest of Mich. Any help will be appreciated. I have a $138 tag I would love to fill before the season is over. I hope to hear from someone who has experience hunting these type of woods. Thanks. Good luck and hunt safe.  Frank

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:59 am

I spent the day turkey hunting my property and the adjoining lumber company land yesterday. The lumber property is loaded with big mature oaks with a very poor mast crop this year. I bought the property this spring and was told there were several bears in the are last year. I'm wondering if it was due to last years acorn crop which, I'm told, was far better.

CB

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:02 am

I spent most of the afternoon in the woods with a buddy, and the mast looks terrible. No acorns, no beech, no apples, and only a tiny number of grapes. I've seen a few hickory nuts.

There is a corn field nearby, and only a little deer sign in it. My buddy saw that as an indication that most local deer have moved on to look for a place with more groceries. We had a very hard frost here in early June, and it took everything.

I've had a few trail cam pictures of small bucks.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:53 am

I have been in the woods a couple times in July and I am already seeing a bunch of acorns on my property. Good for the deer probably bad for me. They are everywhere so I am sure it is going to be hard to pinpoint deer movement in the early part of the season. Will be stopping this weekend to look at apple, hickory and crabapple and see how they are doing. Also going to change a couple stand as I had moved them for rifle. Back to the white oaks they go.
Andy

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 am

Moved one of my stands back to an area with about 10-12 giant oak trees. They have mast all over them. I jumped a great 8 point walking my stand back in so I hope he stays close by. Found a couple decent Hickory tree's producing and the apple trees are also loaded. Can't wait until the season starts.
Andy

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 am

the peach tree and pear trees limbs are bending from the weight of all the fruit...the may apples are about gone reg apple are just OK here at home Great at camp and some of the red oaks are dropping mast and the camp is loaded....the bramble patches just exploded this year seriously wild out there

The nut trees were hit hard by the late spting storm...only some walnuts.

OSU bucks

Postby OSU bucks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:15 pm

For over 20 years now I have lived in a woods that is about 20 acres in size, with my 3 acre property in the middle. There are almost 100 trees in my yard, mature oaks and hickorys make up the majority. Last year (09) was the worst mast crop ever, I am not sure how the local squirrel population survived the winter? This year on the other hand looks to be a rebound year with all trees hanging low under the weight of tons of acorns and hickory nuts!! All the local woods in this area of Ohio seem to have the same abundant crop. The sound of acorns and hickory nuts hitting the ground this year should be loud and long this fall. Hope the rest of the country is as fortunate.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:44 am

Welcome to the forums and that is good news ...home you find the "honey" tree and have a great season this year[;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Deer Browse