Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Cut N Run

RE: Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:57 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

ORIGINAL: Goose

I just want to say thanks again JPH for starting this.[:D][:D]

Ditto!!!! [:D][:D][:D]  ....  Cut n' Run, I don't think my thermacell idea can help you out [;)]

Sadly, it was beyond anything Thermacell could help with.  Luckily, that incident occurred on the other side of the planet from here & NOT while I was deer hunting.  I didn't feel quite so bad because someone else was, er, feeling my pain, so to speak.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

TwistedX

Postby TwistedX » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:09 pm

not sure where the forum is on this site but i did read that deer are not bothered by that scent and others have said that deer actually come to investigate. Guessing thats not during the time of high pressure and it wasnt that horribly sthinky. Oh and btw I dont think any one had commended you for your bravery in asking such a sensitive question on such a World Wide Web. thought i would point it out.
Some days you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.
Anonymous

TwistedX (+)

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 pm

JPH goes where us mere mortals fear to tread! He's my hero! [:)]

(And "goes" was meant with no pun intended!!!)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm

This thread will never die. I have another solution. Fruit for breakfast on a regular basis. And I have to point out that I did commend Joe for his bravery.[;)]

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

JPH, I applaud your courage in starting a thread like this. Not only is it entertaining but informative as well![:D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:27 am

ORIGINAL: TwistedX

not sure where the forum is on this site but i did read that deer are not bothered by that scent and others have said that deer actually come to investigate. Guessing thats not during the time of high pressure and it wasnt that horribly sthinky.

Uhhh...they would be spooked by what I have going on. Trust me.

Heck, I'm spooked by it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:08 am

LOL!!!! This thread just keeps getting better and better!

Scares the buzzards away for 2 counties does it J'per? [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:34 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: TwistedX

not sure where the forum is on this site but i did read that deer are not bothered by that scent and others have said that deer actually come to investigate. Guessing thats not during the time of high pressure and it wasnt that horribly sthinky.

Uhhh...they would be spooked by what I have going on. Trust me.

Heck, I'm spooked by it.

LMAO! That's scary JPH!

Cut N Run, that's just down right nasty but at least you had company to share the misery with LOL!

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 am

Cut N Run I bet when both of your eyes met you have never experienced such a connection with someone. I think it was probably a sign of two people meant to be together!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:31 am

Ahhh...the thread that just keeps on giving..I love it, lol!!!

kellory

Re: Advice Needed (Warning: Gross)

Postby kellory » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:44 am

And I thought it was just me. I always carry TP with me on a hunt. In fact I collect napkins from Arby's because they are buff colored, not white. And I like to feel warm, because shivering can force the issue. I have hunted many different ways, and I'm sure I'm not done trying new ways, but one of my favorites is my climber. I have mentioned before, an interest in an emergency descender to prevent pinyadda problems due to a fall.but that is not the only reason. When I got my first climber, I found the connecting cord between the top and the bottom sections annoying when packing and unpacking, and attaching it to the tree. I left it off. I was about 25 feet up when I felt a rather sudden need to take care of business. I am quite annoyed with myself, and in my rush I knocked the lower section free, and down she went, Without me. I had no idea Shit's Creek was in a tree, but there I was without a paddle. I lowered everything on my equipment line (too light duty for me) and wrapped my drag rope (deer retrieval system) around the trunk of the tree and around my back and tied off to my belt. (not easy to do while hanging from the top half of a climber!) Between the rope and my legs, and hand wracking the top half, I was able to get back down to earth. I had some stains, and some shredded camo, I burned the underwear, and I now have 30' of 1/2" braided line in my bag and a carabiner that will handle 300 on the rope and 800 on the carabiner. I no longer eat before the morning hunt. I may try some of these other remedies from a ground blind.
Attachments
714.gif
714.gif (4.16 KiB) Viewed 917 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices