Tree Stand help

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
SwampFox

Tree Stand help

Postby SwampFox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:27 am

A few years back my climber was stolen out of the woods so I've been using loaners when I can or not hunting much at all.  I have a ladder stand that I use as a permenant stand but would like to start hunting some public property as well.  Long story short, I'm in the market for a new climber that is safe, roomy, and wont break the bank.  I hunt with both gun and bow and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about a good all around climber that wont take me three years of saving to get.

Patriot

RE: Tree Stand help

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:29 am

SwampFox,
I've never used a climber, but for security be sure to get some kind of padlock/cable to secure your investment.  This will deter folks from attempting to steal it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:28 am

Yeah I knew better than to leave it in the woods unlocked but it was a friend of mines property that he lives on.  We had been hunting it for years and thought we were the only ones who had access to it.  They got both of our stands    Came back and stole his 4 wheeler a few weeks later. Not sure how they knew where to look for them since they were pretty deep in the woods but lesson learned I guess.  I've been thinking about  summit viper.  Had my eye on them for a while before I started on this forum but I've seen a lot of posts saying how great they are.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:49 am

There are a lot of options, but to find one that is light, quiet, and easy to use, you will probably at least have to spend over $150.  Summit makes some really nice ones.  I highly recommend looking at weight when considering a climber.  I bought a cheap one a few years ago and I hate it!  It is very heavy and very uncomfortable, making it noisy trying to get to your tree and back.  I have used my buddy's summit a few times and really liked it. 

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

Check out Cabelas and Bass Pro for their climber reviews and go from there at your price point. I have an aluminum API climber that is excellent, paid about $200 for it and would highly recommend the API brand. Bass Pro currently has the API High-Point climbing stand on sale for $149.94 with a rating of 4.5 stars if your looking for something light but economical. Good luck!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:03 pm

I purchased the Treewalker Treestand at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo 3 years ago, and it is the best and most comfortable stand I have EVER used! One of my hunting buddies bought one at the expo last year. He told me this past weekend he'll never own another climber treestand.

It's light, easy to use, and extremely comfortable. It is also very safe. I have never felt safer in a tree as I do with this stand. It's not cheap, but it is worth every penny!!!

There are a ton of good photos on their web site - http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/

�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Swampfox, I have the Summit Viper and absolutely love it! had it about 7 years, and like you, I bow and gun hunt out of it.  Its very comfortable and easy to set up. Probably not as light as some of the others out there, but it's not that bad. I highly recommend it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 pm

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

I purchased the Treewalker Treestand at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo 3 years ago, and it is the best and most comfortable stand I have EVER used! One of my hunting buddies bought one at the expo last year. He told me this past weekend he'll never own another climber treestand.

It's light, easy to use, and extremely comfortable. It is also very safe. I have never felt safer in a tree as I do with this stand. It's not cheap, but it is worth every penny!!!

There are a ton of good photos on their web site - http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/

I do have one climber that I used for one season.  Can't remember the name of it off hand, but it was very large and clumsy. 

On another note, I have heard a lot of good things about this one that FFKEVIN speaks of.  In this case, you may get what you pay for!
QDM!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 am

I also have a Treewalker climber. I bought it at the Deer & Turkey Expo in Birmingham 3 years ago. I have the ProMag XL It is a super stand. It's in the $300.00 neighborhood however.

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 am

$300 is not out of reach.  I looked at that website and they look pretty nice.  I hate to admit it but I'm a little scared of hights.  That can screw up a shot if your shaky and nervous about falling so I need a solid stand I feel secure in.  The tree walker along with a good safety harness looks like it might fit the bill.  Thanks everybody for the help.

Return to Tree Stands