Anyone going to the Charles Alsheimer seminar in Potsdam?

reeper0697

Anyone going to the Charles Alsheimer seminar in Potsdam?

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:10 am

I may be a little farther north than most of you guys, but is anyone going to the Deer Hunter's Seminar by Charles Alsheimer at the Church of the Nazarene in Potsdam this Saturday at 6?

Has anyone ever been to one of his seminars? If so, how did you like it and what should I expect?
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

vipertech

RE: Anyone going to the Charles Alsheimer seminar in Potsdam?

Postby vipertech » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:05 am

I went to one about 8 years ago.  It was also at a church.  At my seminar, he spent about 1/4 of the seminar on deer related topics.  He showed a slide show of a rutting buck he photographed.  It was interesting and the photography was spectacular.  He then gave some tips on calling.  The remaining 3/4 of the seminar got a little to "churchy" for my taste.  I'm not an overly religious person so I got a little bored with this section of the seminar.  A lot of life lesson stuff.  Remember to tell your friends and family you love them, etc.  It's good to hear this now and again but honestly, I was there to hear deer stories and learn some tips and not there to hear a sermon.  The venison dinner afterwards was absolutely fantastic!

I could be mistaken but I believe Charlie tailors his seminars to the crowd.  IE:  If he's invited to speak at a church, he pulls out his "churchy" seminar.  If he's invited to speak at a deer hunting banquet, he might pull out his "all deer" seminar.  Someone else would have to verify.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:57 am

I went to one in swain NY...gosh ...had to be ten years or so ago...they had him and the DEC and a substitute for Woods...it was about deer habits food and rack growth from one of his bucks...he was selling goods after and I bought an autographed poster for DAD in-law...It was OK...but really not differant from everything I'd read...being the only woman back then...no swaping ideas...you know...what could a woman know about hunting...lol

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:48 am

Well this seminar is today and I am very excited for it. Go figure I haven't been feeling well for the last few days. I have 3 of his books and my goal was to have all three finished and to write down some questions I had for him since I had a few that I knew I would forget. Well due to how busy I have been lately I haven't been able to finish the 3rd book just the two and I can only remember a few questions that I had.

None the less I feel like it is going to be a great time and I feel very fortunate to be able to attend this and have access to someone of his knowledge! I only wish there were more people from this NY section that were going to put some faces with the names!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:52 am

So reeper how'd you like the seminar?...hope it was a good informative time....[:)]

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 am

Unfortunately its just too far for me to attend living between Buffalo and Rochester. They never have events like this out our way. I still dont understand why. Hopefully they will in the future especially with a new Basspro shop being built in Buffalo.
Venison - the other red meat

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:27 pm

I had an awesome time! I got to talk to Mr.Alsheimer and ask him questions. I told him I had three of his books and he asked if I brought them because he would sign them. I went out and got them and he signed all three! I also purchased A Guide to Adirondack Deer Hunting (which I have wanted to buy for a while) and he signed that as well.

Since I had already read a couple of his books alot of the information he talked about I had read before, but there was also new stuff to be learned and things I had forgotten reading about.

He seemed like a great guy and took the time to meet with people at his table where he was selling his books and things as well as answer questions. I would definately recommend going to one of his seminars if he is ever anywhere near your area and I would go again in a heartbeat. The pastor also said it took him 2 years to get him there!

Here are a few pics.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:38 pm

Charles Alsheimer at his table

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Awesome pictures of bucks he has taken

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:51 pm

He was even kind enough to take a picture with me

Next

Return to New York