Decoying Deer

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
RNC

RE: Decoying Deer

Postby RNC » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 am

I have had some success with decoys over the years, so for what its worth he are some things I have noticed while using them.

1) Bucks react to decoys better then does. Does accept a buck decoy slightly better then a doe decoy.

2)Have a buck decoy facing towards you and a doe decoy facing away from you.

3) Never put any scent directly on the decoy. I did this once and at the end of the evening hunt I put the decoy in a windfall so I wouldn't have to carry it out that night. The next morning there we deer tracks in the snow leading right up to my hidden decoy.
Also along with this if your leaving a decoy out over night dont leave is standing. If you have a buck decoy and leave it up there is a chance you will be picking up the parts of your decoy in the morning. Also a deer that never moves from one spot makes deer nervous.

4) The decoy must be visible to passing deer. I know that  sounds pretty basic but if the cover is too thick and a deer never sees the decoy your just carrying extra wieght by bringing the decoy with you.

5) Add some movement to the decoy. I take the thins sheets of rolled up packing material and cut out in the shape of a tail then pin it to the rump of the decoy. Just a slight breeze will make the tail move. A small "tail flick" seems to relax deer investigating the decoy.

Hope some of this helps.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Gilaman

Postby Gilaman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:27 pm

This is ONLY my second season hunting (bow only). Last year a buddy suggested I try using my 3-D Deer Target as a decoy. It had removable Antlers . I hunted a piece of property that had a cornfield with only a small amount of weeds that bordered a set of railroad tracks and a tree line that separated another corn field from my field in a bisecting direction. I placed a ground blind in the weeds along the tracks and placed the decoy (with antlers on) facing me about 12 yards in front of the blind........I also used the decoy (with no antlers) facing away from me again about 12 yards out with Estrus on the gound on a tampon. BOTH worked EXTREMELY well. I killed 3 deer from that blind all using the Decoy. I missed a 12 point due to my inability to remember to lock down my Rage 2 blades......TWICE and then shot into the side of the window (with the third and final arrow) in the blind.........hellooooooo new guy!!! LOL!! I would also suggest using FIXED blade arrows in the blind as you will (if you are like me) hit things in the blind while waiting for the moment.

I was able to bring deer in from over 100 yards away (from in front of me that I could watch come in) and also from behind me to investigate the decoy.......it was like they had to look the decoy over if they were in the area up out to 100 yards!!! The decoy also kept them from checking out the ground blind too much.

This is just me experience from a new guy..........

Best of luck,

Brian

So I guess what Im saying is YES to decoys. It made for some great and painful memories! Im just hoping my 12 point is still waiting for me!
Reptile Keeper and Hunter.......and Im getting screwed by the Government on BOTH!!!

Semper Fi

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:19 am

Personal note to Lot to Learn 2:

Don't let anyone pull your leg about not having a bow or gun in hand when a great opportunity (almost) falls into your lap ... I'm willing to bet, it's happened to most of us.

Matter of fact ... it's one of my favorite (fun) hunting memories. A buddy of mine and I were working our way up a small eastern mountain (3300 ft) where we had had success 3X before. It's steep though & heavily wooded; so much so, that 70 yards is a maximum shot.

As was our custom, we stopped about 1/2 way up for that last cigarette & coffee, as those odors travel a long way. Well, we crossed our rifles and leaned them against a tree just behind us and sat down as I opened the thermos.

I had heard that you could come within just a few feet of a bedded buck ... who will stay put as long as you keep moving. Well I guess that buck finally lost his nerve and came crashing out of the brush right behind us ... jumping right over our heads ... he looked as big as a mule.

We both dove for the guns and almost knocked ourselves out as our heads collided. We laughed for at least 15 minutes before we could get up again ... and, we had a great (funny) story to tell about "the big one that got away."

For me, that was one of my top 10 hunting memories.[:D]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:45 am

can't wait to get my bobbin head buck out there....I have a set of rags tied around my bullys neck and bought a bottle of buck urine...just in case...for a $1 I bought 25 2 or 4in...can't remember now ...sterile gauze pads...individually wrapped..... I'll wire under the decoy

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:49 am

Oh I also have a lrg camo cover cloth..I made with tie down strings...so I can take the decoy out and just lay it in the brush and cover when I leave at night...should I decide to return to the same spot for a morning/afternoon hunt...have my bobbin head turkey decoy ready to set out with the buck

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:56 pm

I have a Flambeau doe decoy that has had limited use. One day during rifle season I set her up within 30 yards of the tripod stand I was in at the intersection of 5 roads. That intersection was covered with tracks.  I used a scent machine to add scent to the ruse and the little bucks swarmed the thing. A couple even started fighting over her. Does didn't care for it much because it was a stranger to them. 

The bucks were ready for action, but none big enough to meet club minimums showed up. We recently had a piece of land at the lease clearcut & I might give it another chance out there. That decoy is just another tool that may help put meat in the freezer...It sure isn't very portable though.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:04 am

I use a Renzo doe decoy with no luck . It seemed to spook the does . The horses liked it in their pasture lot .

Semper Fi !

smudd55

Postby smudd55 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:39 am

I have a bobbn' buck decoy from Primos.  I had already shot my buck last year but I put it out w/o antlers to see if it would draw any does in.  I never used it before that but my wife pulled some deer in with it.  Anyway, a buck comes to it and sniffs then kind of spooks but he ended up spending the rest of the evening walking around it stomping his feet.  Eventually he did a zig zag pattern away from it.  He was desperate because I saw him get blown off by a doe and I had heard him earlier in the thicket chasing her around and bawling at her.

logawhit01

Postby logawhit01 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 am

I will be using a Rezno Photo decoy in PA and possibly NY.

I find great sucess with even these inexpensive decoys in areas with good buck to doe ratios!

Maybe someday I will save up and buy a big decoy but untill then I will use my Doe decoy from Rezno
Enjoy your hunting, Love God and then your family

fxlathome

Postby fxlathome » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:36 am

he got a whiff of theat bottle and turned.  i take it you shot him but i am not sure what kind of reaction he was having to the scent. positive or negative. can you elaboarte?  thanks

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices