Recent observations...

DeanoZ

Recent observations...

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:05 am

...based on some limited observations looks like there is more movement, seeing a lot more deer along the roads and during daylight hours...a little a-typical for this early in the season.  Bucks are definitely coming out of velvet and breaking out of their bachelor groups. Should make for an interesting season in Jersey!

cutngut85

RE: Recent observations...

Postby cutngut85 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 am

I've just been observing them still in their summer patterns.....LOTS of small, spotted fawns this year. I have my sights set on 3 nice bucks this year and have 2 of them patterned well. Can't wait to HOPEFULLY get a doe this Sat. and go after one of the bucks Sunday afternoon while still in his summer patterns. (YIPPEE for Jersey and FINALLY passing Sunday hunting).

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:59 am

Awesome CG, sounds like you have a great season lined up and I wish you much luck baggin that doe on the 12th...only a few days away!  Yes Sunday bowhunting was a huge victory for NJ!

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:14 am

Thanks Deanoz! Hopefully will have a good story and pics Monday! Good luck to you as well

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 am

Had a very eventful opening day! Saw 4 doe in the morning, 2 of which were huge, my guess 120+ lbs. dressed. Couldn't get a shot at them though. Afternoon, stood up to stretch and actually yawned out loud and looked over my shoulder to see 3 doe! Couldn't get a shot at 2 of them, one big doe and one in spots, but the third gave me a clean broadside shot @ 35 yds. I shot a little high and spined her and she dropped in her tracks! She dressed out @ 70 lbs. My plan to go out Sunday was shot down so I won't be out again until Wednesday.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I live in So. Carolina but my fam is still in Jersey. They are talking about the deer still being in their yard. My bro in No. Jersey actually had a bear get in his trash last year.
South Carolina Low Country

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Congrats cutngut85....great start the season.  I've been in Aruba witht he wife for the last week so hoping to get out soon for the antlerless season and take advantage of the early start...

...yes 1Morgan ever since they did away with the bear hunting in Jersey the population has exploded in N. Jersey and is getting out of hand...hoping that changes with the upcoming election.

Return to New Jersey