Size up his antlers

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
bwhntr

RE: Size up his antlers

Postby bwhntr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 am

That is also how I sized him up. He'll probably go nocturnal when season starts, but I've got "BABE", that I am going to try and coax him out with when the rut starts.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:38 am

I agree, by your rules he would be a shooter.  However, I am wondering how this buck rates compared to bucks you (or the club) have taken in the past?

If he is on the small side (for you or club) I would let him walk.

In any case good luck and it is a nice problem to have.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am

The angle isn't exactly ideal, so I could be very wrong, but he doesn't look like he would meet the minimum 16 in spread.  I'm guessing 14 or 15.  I agree with swandog, check out some of the bucks other club members have taken to get a good idea of the caliber of bucks in the area.  This one could be on the smaller side or on the larger side, it all depends. 

Good luck.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:31 pm

For what it is worth, I think your club's requirements are way too complicated. I'm not great with math, and I'm really bad at it when I am under stress. I'd shoot that buck in a New York minute. If my club would not allow that, I'd find a new club.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:54 pm

look at its bases, this is an older heavy horned deer, it my not get any bigger than this and if your club wont allow you to shoot this deer then your club better be behind a fence and i would find a new club..

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 pm

ORIGINAL: bwhntr

Club rules are 3 of the following:

21" main beam length
a minimum of one 7" tine
160 pounds
16" inside spread
4" bases

This club was created 5 years ago, and is an archery only club. Does are taken with rifles at the end of December to help keep everything in check. This is my first year there. I have pics of smaller bucks, but there has to be some larger ones hanging back somewhere. I plan on keeping my Cuddebacks out during the season.

I'm with JPH...You can't even sit and enjoy the moment since you'll be buring the wheel up in your brain trying to figure out if it's big enough.  To each their own though...If it works for ya that's all you need!
QDM!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 am

I'm with you guys, as I was looking at the photo and trying to figure out all these factors.  I was wondering how in the world would you figure all this out in the field when you may only minutes or seconds to determine shooter or not. It would definately take some of the excitement out of the hunt.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:42 am

short mains couple long point good mass 128

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 am

At first glance I was guessing low 110's.  He has to be at least 3.5.  But, I agree with JPH.  It would be very hard to figure all this up before deciding to shoot or not. 

You would have to ask the deer...excuse me but would you please just stop and hold that pose I need to calculate your measurements and my brain just went to mush!

I am all for passing up smaller/younger bucks, but those restrictions are pretty tough.  Perhaps the club just wants you to meet one of the above requirements?
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Main beams        17"                                                                                      

Age           3 1/2 - 4 1/2-

Weight       200

Base diameter  3"  

Score  122                                                                                                                                     

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management