Single shot rifles

Everyday Hunter

RE: Single shot rifles

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:24 pm

I once had a TCR '87 from Thompson Center Arms. It was a switch barrel gun. I had a .22-250 barrel for it that I used for woodchucks and a few coyotes. I remember shooting one deer with it. I also had a 10 gauge barrel for spring gobblers. 

I got rid of the gun for a couple of reasons. One, it had beautiful wood, and I hated the thought of marring it. Two, I shot a coyote with it one day, and I had a whole pack coming. I decided I needed a repeater.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:16 pm

I have the H&R Handi Rifle in 45-70. I purchased this rifle about mid January for around $250.00. I took a doe with it on the last day of the season. I also have the H&R Sidekick. It's a .50 cal. Both are nice rifles. Here is Mississippi, the Handi Rifle qualifies as a Primitive weapon. A rifle is a primitive weapon if the following is met: "Single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of those type rifles... Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges."
I don't know the laws in your state, but Handi Rifle is very popular in MS during deer season.

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Not that we need more reasons to buy different guns but I must admit that is the first time I've heard that one! Must try it on the wife next time I get the urge? I suppose one could always keep in an extra round  clinched between one's teeth? Rambo style. Later

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

JPH,
I too am considering the Rossi single shot .243 for my boys as well. Are you considering purchasing one of the combo packages or the single barrel .243?

USMCsniper2121

Postby USMCsniper2121 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:10 am

I would definetly go with the H&R handi-rifle. I would suggest a 44 mag for shorter shots in timber its a great little deer rifle that puts them down fast. whatever you do do not go with rossi, i think there yes a little cheaper then H&R or NEF, but they are not put together so well. i heard of many people shootting there first shot through the gun and they could not get it open to put the second cartridge in and when they shipped it to the factory to get it replaced they did'nt get it for a few months. and the great thing is they have so many barrel options that you could buy a .22 and the next day be shooting a 30-06 or 44 mag or whatever through the same gun!

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:11 pm

USMCSniper2121,
If funny you mentioned this. I was shooting with a few guys from work about 2 weeks ago. One of them had a Rossi 22lr/410. it seemed that after the barrel heated up, we ended up with a stuck cartridge. The ejector mechanism seemed to have froze up. Ultimately, we were able to get the cartridge out, but it does give one pause.

wack

Postby wack » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:31 am

I haven't heard anything good about the Rossi. If money wasn't an issue, I'd choose a T/C over a Handi rifle, but T/C doesn't have enough over the Handi rifle for me to choose a T/C when it comes to price. T/C has better bluing, not an issue if you get a Handi rifle in stainless steel. Not an issue for blued handi rifles if you take good care of them.

Money wise also consider your scope. I'd much rather have a Handi rifle with an expensive scope on it, than a cheap scope on a T/C. You can get  Handi rifle and a good scope for about the same as a T/C without a scope. A T/C extra barrel costs about the same as an entire Handi rifle. You'll need a scope for that extra barrel too. A Handi Rifle barrel costs (last I checked, probably more now) about $50-$100 each. If you can afford the T'C, extra barrels and scopes, you'll have a fine weapon system, no doubt. Just don't whine when someone with a Handi rifle does just as well for half the price. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Hoosierbuck

Postby Hoosierbuck » Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 am

ORIGINAL: wack
If you can afford the T'C, extra barrels and scopes, you'll have a fine weapon system, no doubt. Just don't whine when someone with a Handi rifle does just as well for half the price. lol

I won't whine. My Pro-Hunter will still be prettier. I spend a of of time in the stand just looking at my gun. Life is too short to marry an ugly girl or hunt with an ugly gun.

HB [:D]

Hog hunter

Postby Hog hunter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:53 am

I own the Ruger #1 in 243 caliber with a vx111 Leupold scope in Boone and Crocket plex. So far I shot an Axis Doe at 160 yards. I shots a 100 pound hog at 80 yards. Did a 200 yard stalk on another hog got about 15 yards and did a head shot. I would love to buy another Ruger #1 in 7 mm mag. Rifle fits perfect for me. Then down here in Florida a 243, 280 or a 308 will take anything Florida has to offer

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:33 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

Besides the muzzle-loaders, are there any single shot hunters out there?
I would like to get a single shot rifle like the Ruger No.1
My hunting is a mix of open field and timber, but I like to use my handgun when in the timber and shots are limited to shorter distances. I think that using a single shot would make it a little more challenging when hunting the open areas.

I've always wanted to get a Ruger No. 1, but never did, in part because of the price. Now that I can afford one I can't justify the price cause I already have a bunch of really good guns.[/align] [/align]However, the Ruger is a beautiful well made gun & I'm sure you'll feel like an English Gentleman if you hunt with one. My cousin just bought a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor. [/align] [/align]I love shooting this gun & have always loved falling block rifles. If you can afford this gun, I'm really sure you will be very happy with it. [:)][/align]

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles