signs are all there.....

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

signs are all there.....

Postby msbadger » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:17 pm

That old man winter is about to take a nap.....We are now seeing flocks of geese fly over daily and today we past a herd of 25+ deer 1/2mile from the house and tonite 7 in the hay field next door...even though temps are in the single digets at night and 20's during the day the deer are headed back up the hill....soon the turkeys should show up as well
 How are things progressing out there for all of you?

Demoderby4

RE: signs are all there.....

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Im seeing a lot more daytime movement as well! Temps here (SE MI) are about the same as u mentioned, saw about 20 or so on Thursday in 2 separate fields on the way home from class, the time was 520-5:45 when  i saw those ones, and then yesterday going to meijer i saw 3 in a section of some small sapling trees, chewing at some branches and stuff on the ground it looked like, i couldnt stop, people were driving behind me :( then saw another one on my way back on another road, looked like it was eating something as well, and unfortunately their was another car behind me, these 4 were all seen from 1:05-1:45, its sure good to see em during daylight again!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:35 pm

I saw the first REAL sign of spring just this evening.

Our local Dairy Queen closes around Thanksgiving, and reopens...well, whenever the ladies who own it decide that it's "spring".

THEY WERE OPEN TODAY!!!!!   ALLELUIA!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:43 am

Well we just got 8" of snow last night in the northeast...so whatever hopes of spring coming early have been dashed!!!  Be good for tracking though, so its not a total loss, I have to get geared up for Spring Gobbler!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 pm

10" of snow and a wind chill of 8[:@]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:32 pm

We missed out on all that snow, i was very thankful lol! The temps were well into the single digits today tho, its still very brisk out.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 am

Same here Demo...brutal temps last few days ...BUT..[:)]...temps starting the up swing today.....So I'm behind the 8ball again to get trimming and pruning finished.....The 7 deer next to house has grown to 14 and there are a couple of sets of twins with moms that made it...all look rather chunky compared to alot of late winters...which surprises me a little...I hope that camp faired as well ..but there are so many FEWER ppl down there and no farms even close...The herd is bedding just a couple of huntred yrds from the house on the edge of the field...This morning they were all covered in frost and alot of stretching went on before they went down into the woods to the streams...well gotta finish the java and bundle up...those trees aren't going to trim them selves and I have seeds to start today...get that garden going.....

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 pm

I saw the first two sandhill cranes today (a good sign).

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:47 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I saw the first REAL sign of spring just this evening.

Our local Dairy Queen closes around Thanksgiving, and reopens...well, whenever the ladies who own it decide that it's "spring".

THEY WERE OPEN TODAY!!!!!   ALLELUIA!!!!

Our DQ was just like that, they just got a new "broiler" or whatever they do to their burgers there last year, and it is now open all year. That was my indication of when spring has sprung as well Woods Walker [:D] guess i'll just have to play it by ear now lol!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:51 am

Well another reminder of spring...we had kids born yesterday....good they are healthy...bad they are both bucks..which mean they are auction goats not herd adders..[&o]...but the other spring thing happened when I went to feed the herd....got into the hay barn and opened a new bale...thought man...they hit a skunk while baling?...fed half and then started across street to get new bag of feed...out the corner of my eye 20ft away was a big ole mostly wht skunk following me! Now it's 10:30 am and thats never a good sign...realized he'd been in the hay eating...drew up my 22 and dropped him...how lucky that stinking thing decided not to spray me while I was in the barn...but not giving him a second shot at it...Dang he still managed to "leak" as it where [&:] hope this rain washes it down.

Next

Return to Off Topic