Are you planning a guided deer hunt this fall?

Planning a guided deer hunt? Looking for tips in choosing the best outfitter? Discuss options here.
Corey Graff

Are you planning a guided deer hunt this fall?

Postby Corey Graff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:39 am

Welcome to our new Guides & Outfitters forum section.

If you are hiring a guide this year, where are you headed? If not, tell us your thought process.
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

DeerCamp

RE: Are you planning a guided deer hunt this fall?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:57 am

Not this year...This year, Ill be the one guiding myself. I would like to go wayy up into Canada, Kanas, and even give Pike Co. A try. However Im still in school and still way to young to have that kinda cash laying around. I dont have a problem with going on one of these hunts as long as its NOT a fenced in ranch. It would be nice to take a little vacation and give hunting a try.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:15 am

Not this year, but wouldn't mind going up to Canada, or to the Golden Triangle in Illinois!  Hunts are spendy though....Also, I'm the type of person that likes to do their own legwork.  I don't know how much enjoyment I'd get to have someone take me to a stand, have a deer show up, shoot it, and then call it a day....All for about $5k.  What does everyone else think of this?
QDM!

jlhunt43

Postby jlhunt43 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:35 am

Enjoy a fair chase hunt and just want access to land. I spend alot of time hunting in Texas but am going to Missouri this year with IMB Outfitters. Have heard good and bad but I will see for myself first hand at the end of October. I visited the area this summer and met with the outfitters and it looks like a good area and there have been big deer taken in the area.  No high fences and high fees for me! Lots of that in Texas. I want to hunt for my deer and not "shop" for it!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am

I typically wouldn't just because of the cost but will be considering it next year if my family takes a trip home to Spain where my wife is from over the Thanksgiving week. I'm not going on the trip to Spain this time around and would love to go on a week long hunt somewhere to the Midwest or West where I could have the chance at bigger deer than we typically have here in NW Florida and SW Alabama. Even back home to MN would be something I would consider. After this season I'll probably start researching my options. In the end the cost could still keep me from going.

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 am

I would love to as well, but just can't afford it or do I have enough vacation time.  Stupid work getting in the way of hunting for weeks on end.  I would have to skip my tradition of hunting camp to go on a guided trip (with family and friends)....which would be a tough thing to do (even though the hunting isn't very good)!!  Some things are just more important that shooting a book buck that someone else scouts and sets me up on.   

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 am

A group of us guys are going to a guided hunt up in Kentucky this year.  We have been trying to get togeter and all go for awhile now.  Hopefully it will turn out OK.  It will be a bit more costly but I deer hunt here for 4 months straight on my own and if someone else does the scouting and the cooking and the driving and I still get a chance at a big buck that sounds like my perfect vacation & its cheaper than Disney Orlando.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am

No, I don't see myself going on a guided hunt for Whitetails for sometime.  There are enough trophies (at least to me) in my own area that will keep me busy for awhile.  

I wouldn't be against going after Elk or Mulies or Moose if the price was right and had a friend or two going along.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:43 am

Not this year but hoping to go to Montana next year for a semi-guided Elk Hunt

dpace

Postby dpace » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:19 am

No, nor will I ever let someone else find me an animal, decide whether it's old enough or big enough, then point it out and tell me to shoot it.  How can anyone possibly get any satisfaction out of that?  And if you guys with too much extra money would stop paying these outrageous prices to these "outfitters", maybe more private land would open up to the rest of us. 

Next

Return to Guides & Outfitters