Old barn removal

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
MDV WI hunter

Old barn removal

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:28 am

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying an old farmette, place we're currently renting. (once my house sells that is!!)  It has several outbuildings and an old barn, all of which I want to tear down, break up and remove the concrete and then seed and plant trees.  The problem, how to get started.  The dismantle and removal of the wood is doable but what to do with all that concrete????  I haven't found a recycler yet so I'm looking for ideas.  If I can get rid of all of it, I'll have a nice 9 acres surrounded by woods, CRP and farm land...
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Sailfish

RE: Old barn removal

Postby Sailfish » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:30 am

I'm sure your aware that there is a market for your old barn boards.
Depending on the width (wider is prized) anywhere from $3.00 +/- LF on up to say $4.00 +/- a LF

I just removed a slab  myslef, however it was only 14X20 and a rented jackhammer, prybar, trailer and hard-labor I hauled it off to the city dump myself at $54 a ton.

If I were to remove a larger slab, I would rent a small front end loader and do it that way. I would imagine you could get a crew in to do it for you, but your probably wanting to save $$$.

What I would do is this:
1) find out how much the dump charges per ton (you can fairly easily calculate how many tons you have)
1a) rental of a loader/trailer and gas (how far is it to the dump)
2) Find out how much to have it done
2a) some outfits will even drop a large dumpster on your property, you fill it they haul it (for a fee of course)
3) factor in your time and what it is worth
and then see what of the 3 options appeals to you best.

I don't think burying it on your property is a good option.  But, could you make some sort of small rubble fence row with it or something (once again I don't know the legality or environmental aspects involved).

I'm just throwing out all the ideas that come to my mind.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:37 am

as for the boards I would do what Sailfish indicated.  try to sell them.  There are a couple of things you can do with the concrete.  We just tore out a buddies barn and a local guy wanted the broken pieces to keep his creek from washing his yard away.  We also used a good bit of it on my inlaws dam to prevent the lake from washing the soil away from the road.  If you cant find anybody that has that type of use, send it to the dump or use it for fill.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:10 am

good ideas, keep 'em coming.  I'm in luck that my in-laws are farmers and have most of the equipment for loading and haulining.  They seem to have a fixation with 1 ton duramax's.... 

I like the idea of a fence or erosion control.  There is a small creek that runs through it that suffers from erosion in the wet seasons. 

Saving $ is key, it's an old farm house so a lot of cash will be poured into it if we buy it.  We're selling our 3 year old home to do this so my wife is a little skepitcal yet!!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:58 am

Like sailfish said there's a market for old barn wood, my grandmother is having two of them taken down and hauled off.  No money involved she told them they could have it if they did all the work and debris removal.  Win Win for both her and the folks wanting the barn wood.

As for the concrete, I don't know if you all hunt dove in your area or not, but a pile crumbling concrete on a crop field edge is a awesome dove attractant.  just an idea.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 am

as all ready  stated the barn boards have a market.If you dont want the concrete crumbles  call your local TROUT UNLIMITED they can use use for stream bank repair,and you may be able to write it off on your taxes as a charitable donation[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:53 am

I have a barn that is falling down and probably will tear down this summer..who buys those boards, the barn is an old horse barn ..

maybe 20x40...

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:06 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

I have a barn that is falling down and probably will tear down this summer..who buys those boards, the barn is an old horse barn ..

maybe 20x40...

I have no idea how it works but if you google barns for sale or old barns for sale you get a lot of sights for selling.  I'm amazed at what people are getting for these..  Keep me posted if you have success and if it's with one of those sights.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 am

I'll check them out and keep you posted and let you know if it is worth it

Return to Off Topic