Pop Up Blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
woodsalta

RE: Pop Up Blinds

Postby woodsalta » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:11 am

Has anyone concidered the possibilities of the pop-up manufacturer use non-UV materials/dies while making their blinds? Should we be "washing" our ground blinds with the same UV killing laundry detergent? I have seen the ads in the magazines that show what/how deer see, and if the blinds have UV brighteners in the canvas we all are sitting in big blueish cubes in the middle of the woods that the deer have no problem seeing.

Gilaman

Postby Gilaman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 pm

I use the Primos Ground Max (I own 4)..........Cabelas has it for around $129 I think.........I like it, it has about as much room as any of them and the cost is great.
Reptile Keeper and Hunter.......and Im getting screwed by the Government on BOTH!!!

Semper Fi

postman

Postby postman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 am

Check out bass pro, they have a few blinds on their website for under $200.00,

wallyworldmudhen

Postby wallyworldmudhen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 am

scheels has a "boondocks" blind that appears to be at least equal to the double bull blind. comes in choice of 3 camo patters and has been on sale for $220.00.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:12 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to check that out!

Probably one of the neatest blinds I've seen is the one Patriot and his family made last year.  Can't remember where it is on the forum here, but he posted pics.  Hit him up and I'm sure he'll send you some pics.  Basically it's an old cow hay feeder and then put branches, etc. all around it.  Pretty neat, but not sure how mobile it is!

Here you go.  Yep, it's from an old cattle feeder.  It works great out there since I've had staked in ground blinds blow away on me.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Does anyone else have a problem holding their pop-up blind upright in a heavy wind? I set my Trekker blind up last week and hunted out of it three days. I saw 14 does and 5 different bucks in a 2 day span. I looked outside this morning and its flat on the ground with all the stakes pulled out again. The only reason it didn't end up in the neighbor's blueberry patch is because I tied one guy line to my fence post. Last year a south wind upended it and ripped the fabric loops that hold one of the guy lines right off. My next attempt is going to involve about 4 of those "screw em in the ground to hold your dog" things attached via rope to a small cargo net over the top of the blind. I hunt from my pop-ups when the wind dictates I need to be on that side of my place. It's nothing but picked cornfield for a thousand yards to the south and there's only a grassy fence line on the east. Any body else have any solutions?

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:01 am

What kind of material is your blind made out of?  I had the same problem with my first blind that I've ever bought...I set it up this year, and seemed like the wind had it's way with it every time. 

I just bought two new blinds this year (covert blinds), that are made of more heavy duty material, so hoping these hold better.  Also, I talked to Patriot, and he recommends buying those longer tent stakes in the store versus using the ones that come with the blinds.  They hold better apparently!
QDM!

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:26 pm

We pop them up about three weeks before season starts, brush them in real good and let them set until opening day.  We have not had any problems doing it this way.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:31 am

The walls of my Trekker feel like nylon or some other synthetic fabric with a black rubberized coating on the inside. I went out yesterday and set the darn thing up again, This time I didn't use the stakes that came with it. I went to Wally World and bought 6 heavy duty bright yellow tent stakes. If nothing else, the color will make them easier to find next time the wind flips it over. Then , instead of the guy lines to the 4 corners, I put in 2 dog tie out stakes in front and tied a 3/8 rope to them. The other end of the ropes are tied to a small, elasticized cargo net that was supposed to be used to keep objects on the hitch haul I have for the 4-wheeler. The net is laid over the top of the blind. On the back side is one more dog tie out to the net with the 4th rope going to the fence post. I also intend to pile some loose dirt up around the bottom edges to keep the wind from getting under the walls. I added some corn stalks and I'm ready to try it again. Hopefully the stretch in the cargo net will allow the blind to flex in high winds without going airborne.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:51 am

I have not tried this but I really think it will work for knocking the must off. Take a hose end sprayer and put the same laundry detergent you wash your clothes in, little will go long way, I have cleaned throw rugs like this. I am going to try this, same thing for decoys. 

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices