CVA Wolf Accuracy

TFin04

CVA Wolf Accuracy

Postby TFin04 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:11 am

Picked up my first smokepole, a CVA Wolf, as a budget starter gun this year. I've been doing some reading (mostly on Cabelas reviews) and it seems this gun has the potential to be quite accurate.

I have tested it with 300 grain Hornady SST's and 100 grains of 777 magnum pellets. I have a Burris 2-7 power scope mounted and it's shooting about 5" groups at 100 yards. Barrel was swabbed out between each shot.

I have read that these barrels do well with 250 grain bullets and non magnum powder or pellets. I have some loose pyrodex and some 250gr SST's to try out, thinking about starting in the 90 gr range and working up from there.

Anybody here shoot one? Recommendations for starting loads? 5moa is capable of taking deer but I hope this gun can do better. I'd love to tighten it up a bit and extend my range for a cornfield I'll be hunting over.

Any tips would be great.

69Viking

RE: CVA Wolf Accuracy

Postby 69Viking » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:27 am

I have a CVA Wolf and I'll have to check on my setup. I believe I'm shooting 250 grain bullets with 2 50 grain pellets for a total of 100 grains. My groups after only a few shots were in the less than 3" range at 100 yards first time shooting it. This will be my second year shooting it so I'll do some more practice with it and let you know what my exact setup is. So far I couldn't be happier with the smoke pole. It's simple to use and for the money very accurate. I have no doubt with some practice this year I'll have my 100 yard groups inside 2 inches or better. I think last year I shot it about 5 or 6 times before I decided it was ready for the field, not bad for a smoke pole at 100 yards.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks for the info. What pellets are you using in that set up?

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:14 am

I have one. I have not achieved the 3" level of accuracy with it yet but I think it is more than possible. I hate cleaning it which I am sure is part of my problem. I believe I am using 245gr powerbelts with it. Whatever the green ones are. With 2 X 50gr 777 pellets. It is fun to shoot though.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:36 am

I've had a Wolf for about three or four years now and have tried alot of different comboniations of powders and bullets. The best and most consistent I have done is 2" three shot groupings at 100 yds using a single 50 gr trip7 pellet with 200 gr TC sabots. My groupings go up from there using other combos.

I just put on a Tasco 3x9x40 on it this year and am still shooting about the same. I just see the target better from 100 yrds.

The other thing I noticed is my muzzie actually shoots better once the barrel has had two or three rounds through it without cleaning between shots. In fact I ususally foul the barrel before shooting with a couple of precussion caps and shoot a round before loading up the round I intend to hunt with.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:46 am

50 grains eh? What type of velocity does it produce at that level? Is that more of a target load or still capable of taking deer? This is my first M/L so I'm trying to learn.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:30 am

TFin04,

The 50 gr with a relatively light 200 gr bulltet is more than capable of taking deer within the 100 yard range with very mild recoil. Where we hunt you will not get many cahnces at a deer over that distance anyway. All deer I have taken as been 35 yards and under.

Take a look at the Photo Corner - 2009 Harvest Photos or go to the Indiana forum. Got pics of my son who took a doe Saturday morning with the CVA Wolf using the exact load I stated. The shot was at 10 -15 yards but the bullet went clean through the deer. I have taught my son to always shoot center mass and put it in the boiler room rather than go explicitly for the shoulder. Deer ran maybe 40 yards before dropping, babout what you would expect from a similar placed bow shot.

Hope this helps. If anything just try various bullets and powders. Just cause mine likes the combo does not mean yours will.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I enjoy working loads up for my rifles so I will spend some time tinkering with this next week to make sure it's ready.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:53 am

Just an update here. I settled on a load of 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS under a 250gr Hornady SST (Same bullet as the Thompson Center Sabots I believe). Using regular Win W209 primers.

Took me a couple shots to get it zero'd at 50 yards, then confirmed it at 100.

Shoots about 2.5 inches high at 25 yards, dead on at 50, and about 2.5 inches low at 100. My last three shot group was a cloverleaf at 100 yards. I am VERY happy with this load.

I think this will make a great setup as I can hold dead on from 0-100 yards and be where I want. Looking forward to our opener on Sunday!

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

I have two of these little guns never had the problem,i shoot 100g of loose rs powder and tc shock wave 250g bullets i have killed deer out to 165yards .i dont see much differance to optima just a shorter barrel ,great little muzzleloader. good luck with it. jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

Next

Return to Muzzleloaders