What would you shoot??

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Cut N Run

RE: What would you shoot??

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 am

It would whichever I got a clean shot on first. Considering that I have never taken one over 150 inches, and have olny shot two over 130 inches in 31 years of deer hunting, the first good shot on one would be it.

The bucks that grow that big where I hunt usually have a good place to hide out that is not on our lease.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:05 am

Where I hunt you don't see many that are 130 or better regardless of the age let alone a 150.  I would take (as many of you) the one that gave me a the shot first. 

However, if I know that a 150 was using my property I would spend a lot time trying to out smart him.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 am

I guess I have to give the Massachusetts hunters side. I live in the suburbs of Boston and up here we dont have the wide open space to have huge food plots and it's illegal to feed or bait them. Where I'm from the 130 class deer is a HUGE deer for anyone to see never mind get a shot at! They just dont grow that big here (they might out in western MA near NY) They are dependant on forest browse and landscape plantings for nutrition and are mostly on their own. I would like to practice QDM, but if a 2 1/2 year old comes out into the opening and presents a shot, and he meets the state regulations on antler size, he's going down. Sorry, but I'm telling you how it is around here.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:17 am

I'd serve up a "Patriot missile" to the first one within range.  If both were at 20 yards, I'd go for the 150.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

cbhunter

Postby cbhunter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm shooting the one my son doesn't . The two of us are having a dream day two bucks over 130 lol . However if  I was alone I would shoot the 150 no question.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 am

I would be lucky to kill a buck that field dresses at 150lbs! LOL!

I think I would stroke and fall out of my tree stand if I saw a 150 class whitetail!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:49 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

After I estimate a buck to be 3.5 or older, the green light goes on and the range is hot. I would take the first lethal shot at either buck.

Now to play along with the spirit of the question. If both bucks were facing each other, broadside at 20 yards and I was certain that the 130" was older than the 150", I'd shoot the 130".

Exactly what I would do. ...but I will add, since I can take 2 bucks in Illinois, I would hope after I shot the 6 y.o. that the 3 y.o. would hang around long enough for me to nock another arrow. :)
-Eric

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Lots of factors go into that decision. If your nahbors believe in QDM like you do, then the obvious choice is the older buck, but on some propertys we have hunted the naihbors shot anything with horns so in that senario i would half to say the 150 class or whichever gave me the best shot, like others. depending on what the naihbors do plays a huge part in which buck i would take.
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:35 am

ORIGINAL: spottedskunk

So you believe in QDM, but you got a 150 class 3 1/2 year old on your radar, but you also have a 130 class buck that is 6 1/2 years old. You know the younger buck goes higher on the scoring chart, but yet, that old buck has always got around you, do you go after old timer, you would you perfer the younger buck, then gamble on letting the older buck either die off in winter or let someone else shoot it???

What do you do in this situation??

I believe in harvesting the oldest buck. Old bucks in my opinion are so fun to hunt, I could care less about score, but yet a big old buck that is 180 is an extra bonus.

Old bucks being killed are a dimed a dozen, so what would you do??

Wow! I've been hunting for 40 years ... but obviously, I've got a lot to learn. I'll have to admit, I just don't have the smarts to "score" a buck at 170 yards, let alone figure out that he's 4 1/2 years old. I have trouble doing that while he's at my feet. Hmmm ... the spread here is ... the circumference here is ... did I measure the tip to tip yet?

Old bucks being killed are a dimed a dozen,

I wish I had your problem ... around here I'd pay $5.00 a dozen.[:)] I just go by the overall "look" of the rack. I've seen 8 pointers that were (almost) twice the size of a 12 pointer. Matter of fact, the last 12 pointer I saw wasn't much bigger than a Great Dane.

Since I don't have dogs anymore, I don't hunt for meat. I've culled enough mediocre deer in my day so I'll only shoot something that has at least some "wow" quality to it. Inasmuch as I don't have nearly as many choices as many of you do ... that means I wind up eating a lot of tags.[:(]

So if you have the luxury of picking between 3 & 6 year olds ... God bless you.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

I would be sure of the age of the older Buck by looking at photos over and over. I'd definately let the Three year old walk, fantastic potential. The Three year old will be coming into his own in a year or two.
 Don't worry about someone else shooting "Your" Deer. If so, you should go rob "Your" bank before someone else does.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management