How Many vets are here?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
John1961

How Many vets are here?

Postby John1961 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:55 am

U.S Army Retired. 22yrs,9mts,24 days.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Jdbllung

RE: How Many vets are here?

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:04 pm

U.S. Army  4 years,  Ft.Jackson SC for basic training and AIT, Heavy Wheel Vehicle Mechanic, then Gulf War part 1, then Ft. Clayton Panama.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:35 pm

I hesitate to call myself a veteran in the company of many of you. I know there are guys here who have seen combat and you have my eternal respect and gratitude.

Nonetheless, I was USAF active duty 1991-1993 and US Army guard 1996. It was a bad time to be in the service. Clinton could not cut things fast enough. I was offered "early outs" in both situations and took 'em. I guess you could say I took the education/training and ran. I never spent a day overseas and never did anything cool but I am glad I served.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I hesitate to call myself a veteran in the company of many of you. I know there are guys here who have seen combat and you have my eternal respect and gratitude.

Nonetheless, I was USAF active duty 1991-1993 and US Army guard 1996. It was a bad time to be in the service. Clinton could not cut things fast enough. I was offered "early outs" in both situations and took 'em. I guess you could say I took the education/training and ran. I never spent a day overseas and never did anything cool but I am glad I served.

I feel the same way JPH.  I did over 20 years in the Army Natl Guard. I did get to do alot of neat things, but never got to practice what I was trained for in combat.  I was in an artillery unit. We were in the process of being activated for the first gulf war when they changed their minds and sent a like unit from Arkansas instead, because our Brigade HQ did not have one computer and the Arkansas unit said they had everything. We ended up sending an awful lot of equipment to them because they didn't have everything.  I have my retired ID and get benifits from it, but will not get retirement pay or full benifits until I turn 60.
If I could go back in time, I would still join the Guard. It was a great experience and alot of fun. I still have many friends from the guard and see and talk to them regularly.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:41 pm

But JPH and Robert you were both willing to provide that sacrfice if asked to. In my opinion you both belong in that category. Thanks for your service to our great country!! 

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:44 pm

That's right, if you served, you served.  Nobody knows for sure when they join be it active duty or reserves, what could happen.  Anyone who volunteers to serve this country deserves, and has earned the right to be called a veteran.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:46 am

10 Years U.S. Air Force.  3.5 years in Torrejon, Spain and 6.5 years at Eglin AFB, Florida which is the area I still call home,

Thank you to everyone that has served!  I know my time in has helped make me the proud American I am today!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:28 am

6yrs Army National Guard.

just Ets'd in November. My unit is leaving again in April and im having mixed feelings about not being with them this time around.

Gotta make the wife and family happy though[:D]
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:23 am

USMC 1990 - Present, 5 yrs Active and 13 yrs in the reseves thus far.  1 tour in Bosnia and 1 tour in Iraq.  Its been the most rewarding career choice I've ever made and I would not trade it for anything...cept maybe more time in the woods hunting deer!  My thanks to all that served in whatever capacity...there is no greater honor or privledge!

Semper Fidelis!

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Hey Devil Dog, I was with 3/9 (later redesignated 3/4) from 92-96. Missed Desert Storm but managed to land my happy @55 in Mogadishu right out of Infantry school. Still, most of it was fun and all of it was worth it. Wouldn't trade the corps for anything.

Next

Return to Off Topic