Injured...again.

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

Injured...again.

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:55 am

Well as the guy who's always harping on health/fitness, I owe everyone full disclosure. Injuries are part of athletics, that's just the way it is. A person must accept occasional aches and pains, or even strains and sprains in order to push their body to a higher level. Great athletes, however, know how to temper their training so that they are healthy by game day.

Two years in a row, I have gone into the opening of bow season with injuries that make it impossible to practice. Last year it was a rotator cuff injury. This year it is what my be a muscle tear in my upper back! Ugh!!!

I gave up serious strength training this summer in order to train for a competitive 5K. Once that race was over, I dove back into strength stuff. I began to feel a little twinge near my shoulder blade but wrote it off as nothing. Last week I put up 16 stands and sawed a lot of limbs. Now I cannot sit upright without a searing pain where the twinge used to be. Looks like Advil and ice for the next week rather than flinging arrows.

I am posting this for two reasons. One, I need some sympathy. My wife does not want to hear me cry about something I did to myself. Two, to warn the rest of you. Be smarter than I am. Listen to your body!

msbadger

RE: Injured...again.

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:30 am

I hear you and feel...not that I am any wiser...wrote that I was going to camp and knew I'd be hurting after....Trying to get out of the van after driving just an hour home was agony....but really my bad...forgot my lunch...a banana and had toast and coffee before I left....won't drink camp water until it has ran thru the pipes a few days and all I had was coke that I'd brought down for the hunting season...I don't normally drink soda...so too much sugar and salt with over doing it...I know they say ice but nice hot soaks and my daily hikes have helped....hope it's just a pulled something that heals fast...

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:47 am

I am sorry to hear this.  I hope you heal quickly.

Are you going to be able to hunt come opening?
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 am

ORIGINAL: bobow
Are you going to be able to hunt come opening?

I have no doubt that I could pull my bow if needed. I worked my shift at the firehouse yesterday and was able to get by. It was agony to ride in the engine (bad seats that do not recline) but I was able to do everything I had to do. Slow shift allowed me a lot of down time for ice. So, I could hunt if I wanted to.

But I am not a big early season hunter, so I won't be out for a few weeks. I was just hoping to get the bow really dialed in. Now I'll be resting the shoulder.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:22 am

Thank God my son is too sore from football to mess with me! We sit around and watch a lot of football on the weekends. He usually jabs at me until I take him down and choke him.

Mutual truce.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:53 am

Hope you heal up soon! I also hope your son takes advantage of the situation.[:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 am

But I am not a big early season hunter, so I won't be out for a few weeks. I was just hoping to get the bow really dialed in. Now I'll be resting the shoulder.

Is it to late to apply for a crossbow permit? [:D]
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:25 pm

I hear ya.. Injuries are not fun,but they are part of sports and life.  I hope you will still be able to make it out. A few years ago I tore my ACL and the doc said I wouldnt be able to climb into a tree stand after the surgery.Given it was a little bit before season. I worked hard every day in physical thearpy to make it in the stand. Just goes to show one that if they work hard theres always a chance to get out there. I just hope you did practice before this though, you owe it to the animal. Good luck and I hope it all goes well for ya JPH.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I know what it's like to not be able to go out. Last year was the first year in ten years that I couldn't go out on opening day. I had to work. On a Saturday. Oh well. That's my sympathy note.
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey JPH!

Sorry to hear that man!
I hope you heal quickly, and are back in the saddle soon!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness