Aim high, aim low, aim dead-on

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
nhdeerchaser

Aim high, aim low, aim dead-on

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:13 am

Hey everyone!

When pulling the trigger on a deer from a treestand, do you aim higher than you think you need to, a little lower, or aim dead on behind the shoulder.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

msbadger

RE: Aim high, aim low, aim dead-on

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:40 am

nhdc...I shoot fingers and instinctive...so I have to practice alot  out of my stands....when I put the deer target close to my stand I have to aim very low....and as I move it out my aim goes higher...at 25yrds with the target on a slight up hillgrade from stand I shoot dead...on...move same distance on a slight down hill grade I aim lower......years of shooting from my stand has conditioned me to know the placements  also has given me the ability to quickly judge distance ....which can trick your eyes from ground to stand hunting....

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:14 am

Mike, are we talking about firearms? If so, my dream shot from a tree stand is directly on the scapula because it will drop a deer where it stands. If I do not feel like I can hit that cleanly, I will aim for the top of the crease, behind the front shoulder because it offers a larger margin of error.

Both shots are aimed "dead on".

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:30 am

JPH...can you tell I'm in bow only mode right now...lol......and I gun aim same as you....that can get a discussion going for the behind the shoulder only crowd [;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:33 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

JPH...can you tell I'm in bow only mode right now...lol......and I gun aim same as you....that can get a discussion going for the behind the shoulder only crowd [;)]

I don't know msbadger, I tend to shy away from controversy.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:14 am

If I'm shooting Does with a rifle, I try for a head shot so as not to waste any meat.  If I don't have a good head shot, I'll go for right behind the shoulder. My closest head shot so far was 21 yards and my farthest was 185 yards.  Practice at the range helps know where the point of impact will be. I usually shoot bucks behind the shoulder held right on. (I also have dots ground into the reticle of the scope on my favorite deer rifle that allows me to eliminate guessing).  I have several landmarks measured with a laser rangefinder from my favorite stands so I know exactly where to hold for any shot.

When I used to bowhunt, I always held lower as deer would often duck into the arrow.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:47 am

One way I think of it, is when you're shooting down, aim down (lower), and when you're shooting up, aim up (higher).  The amount of distance you aim high or low all depends on the angle too.  The higher you're up, the lower you have to aim, etc.
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:25 am

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

If I'm shooting Does with a rifle, I try for a head shot so as not to waste any meat.  If I don't have a good head shot, I'll go for right behind the shoulder. My closest head shot so far was 21 yards and my farthest was 185 yards. 

Sorry but I consider an intentional head shot on a deer to be a poor, poor choice. Yes, a shot to the brain and or brain stem will result in a instant kill, but any drift whatsoever and you create a horrific wound that may take a month finally kill the animal.

185 yards? I don't know, you may be a scout sniper, but things happen. The heart, lungs, and scapula are all surrounded by vital tissue that will also result in a clean kill. The head is surrounded by bones and tissue that will shatter and bleed, but not cleanly kill.

There are many who seem to lessen their chances for a quick kill and recovery in the name of preserving meat. Personally, I think the time to consider meat is after the dear is dead and you are standing over it.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:17 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

If I'm shooting Does with a rifle, I try for a head shot so as not to waste any meat.  If I don't have a good head shot, I'll go for right behind the shoulder. My closest head shot so far was 21 yards and my farthest was 185 yards. 

Sorry but I consider an intentional head shot on a deer to be a poor, poor choice. Yes, a shot to the brain and or brain stem will result in a instant kill, but any drift whatsoever and you create a horrific wound that may take a month finally kill the animal.

185 yards? I don't know, you may be a scout sniper, but things happen. The heart, lungs, and scapula are all surrounded by vital tissue that will also result in a clean kill. The head is surrounded by bones and tissue that will shatter and bleed, but not cleanly kill.

There are many who seem to lessen their chances for a quick kill and recovery in the name of preserving meat. Personally, I think the time to consider meat is after the dear is dead and you are standing over it.

I have to agree 100% here with JPH. The actual brain of a whitetail is an incredibly small target, and one that can move too far in fractions of a second. I have seen and executed many double lung shots with bow, rifle and shotgun that wasted little or no meat.

jlh42581

Postby jlh42581 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:55 am

if you bend at the waist you should be almost dead ringer at any yardage. really really close aim just a tad low, your arrow is on the rise.

Next

Return to Vital Information