2.5 year old???????

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
OHhunter

2.5 year old???????

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Today was the first day of bow season in Ohio, I had this buck walk under me at 7:20 this evening. I aged him at 2.5 and let him walk. My goals is 3.5 or older, what do you all think was I right 2.5 year old.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Vikinghater

RE: 2.5 year old???????

Postby Vikinghater » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:43 pm

I personally find it hard to judge summer deer, but I think he is 2. He looks a little slender in the face .  I could be wrong.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:47 pm

Hmmm, I dunno Brad. He looks pretty thick through the middle and he's got some meat down on his brisket. He's a 'tweener if you ask me. Could go either way.

I'd say that if your goal is to kill a 3.5, you made the right choice. Being that it is your first outing, you should get a few more looks at him by November. Study him hard and you may decide that he is old enough. Or you might have one walk by that leaves no question.

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:31 am

I am going to venture off and say he is 3.5. The reason i say this is because he has an arked back, and a little sag in the stomach. And as JPH said, " some meat down in his brisket ". I may be wrong on this one, but i think he is 3.5.[8|]
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:32 am

I am going to say he is 3.5.  Mostly because of the time of year that the pic was taken.  Mid July and this buck has just about everything you'd want in a mature buck.  Yes, he is a tad slender, but I am thinking this is due to the time of year.
Would love to see more pics of this guy when he has shed the velvet and is a little closer to the rut.  Think he will impress just about anyone who might get the opportunity to see him from their stand.
Good luck in your ventures!
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:43 am

I had decided he was 3.5 when I got the trail cam picture, then when he started heading for my stand yesterday evening I started to second guessing myself. Just as he walked under my stand and it was time draw, I decided to let him walk. It was the first day, and I was on the fence with his age. Hopefully I get another look at him later this season.

Thanks for all the input, I was hoping you all would say 2.5 without a doubt, but you all confirmed my initial assumption of 3.5.
Brad

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:50 am

Yes, and i feel your pain. Last year we had a 14 pnt 2.5 yr old buck that pushed the 130's on our lease. We decided to let him walk and the very next day the people on the property in front of us shot the buck, brought to our camp and showed it off. We had agreed no deer under 3.5 for QDM purposes and had even discussed with them about this buck and agreed to pass. They put such a bitter taste in my mouth[:@]. I still try to particapate in our QDM. Good luck with this buck and hope you make the right choice.
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:39 am

If he showed up on my camera in WI I would call him a 3.5.
Is it the picture, or is his right side a lot weaker than his left?
Either way, I would have taken him and called it one hell of a year!

From what I see from you, you have some great deer on camera and have a good handle on this hunting thing, so I am sure you made the right decision and it will pay off in the end.
Best of luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:54 am

Thanks Goose, His right side is weeker, he also looks wider in this photo because his right ear is lade back. He's only about 15" wide. I know better but I think the size of his rack is what started making think 2.5.
Brad

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 am

Looks 3.5 to me!
QDM!

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management