Size of a deer track

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Everyday Hunter

RE: Size of a deer track

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:17 pm

ORIGINAL: NYarcher

Yes the 3" tip to tip measurement I was refering too was toe spread. Ground was dry and hard not soft at all. It was on more of a road the farmer uses between his two fields....

That would be huge for a deer around here. But, in judging a deer's size by the tracks another factor you have to know is whether the deer was walking, running, coming to a sudden stop, stamping his hoof, etc. There are lots of ways to vary the pressure of the impact on the ground. And a deer's foot, being pointed, will make a completely different impression than our big flat size 11s.

Everyone probably knows this already, but when judging tracks, never look at a single track, and try to figure out everything about the deer's movement when he made it. The best track to find is one with the deer still in it. [:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:13 pm

The track was made walking and browsing from the beans to the squash
Venison - the other red meat

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Yeah I'd have to agree with Everyday on that one...if he has a toe spread of 3" that's HUGE.  I've seen Moose tracks with a 3" toe spread but never a deer.  Not disputing your findings but it just does not make sense that his hoof is 3" and so is his toe spread...unless he had a rock or something else stuck between it?  Regardless it definitely warrants further investigation.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 pm

The whole reason why I asked. Unusually large tracks. enough to make me stop and stare. Im approximating 3 inches because it was exactly the length of my index finger, tip to webbing. My hands are large enough to palm a basketball. hoping to get this joker on cam.
Venison - the other red meat

windwalker

Postby windwalker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Did the tips appear sharp or rounded over?

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign