Massive Rubs!

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
DeanoZ

Massive Rubs!

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:53 am

I was doing some post season scouting and came across an area that just looked different...yanno you get that feeling that weird feeling something is going on in a spot.  So as I'm walking through I see several old scrapes and one very tore up tree rub.  So it looks like I stumbled across a primary scrape area for this part of the woods.  As I'm walking back I catch a glimpse of freshly peeled wood about 20 yards up and sure enough another rub..and then another 10 yrds and yet another (2nd and 3rd pics) and both those trees are tore up pretty good, again roughly 3 inch diameter trees.  I walk further along what now is clearly a rub line and holy crap...HUGE rubs on trees that appear to be 6 inches across or bigger...note the last pic, there is an empty aluminum can in the background and you can get a sense for how big these trees and rubs are.  I've never seen anythig like it, and I know tree size is not neccessarily a hard and fast indicator of deer/antler size but I can't imagine anything but a monster lurking this area.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Honestly I've never seen rubs that big before and I just hope this is not some knuckleheads idea of a joke!!!

Goose

RE: Massive Rubs!

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:16 am

I wouldn't be afraid to say that a older buck made those and is in the area or at least was.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:48 am

Thanks Goose...I'm inclined to agree.  What I found odd is if you look at the second picture, the shavings are on the ground and they looked relatively fresh...we've had snow and plenty of rain since Sept so I can't believe the shavings are still there and not more discolored?  Could this be an instance of a buck trying to facilitate the dropping of his own antlers?  I have to tell you I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw all those rubs...you'd of thought it was Christmas!!!!  For all you veteran hunters this may be old hat, and I have seen my share of rubs, but never like this before!  Can't wait for next season, hope this buck made it through!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:27 am

DeanoZ,
My understanding is that bucks will make rubs as long as they have antlers.  Good luck nailing that bruiser next year....or even finding his sheds.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

coach

Postby coach » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:49 am

looks like a sign post to me.
Which is more than a rub
A rub is done once or twice.
Sign post is repeatedly rubbed during the October to December.
They say if there's a sign post there this year....and that specific buck wasn't pressured too much...should be back next year.

That was the case when my cousing shot a nice 12 point.
Two years in a row...we had a sign post in a specific area.
We put a treestand approx 100 yards from the post.
Here is the result.  Now it may not be the same buck....but I think so.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

coach

Postby coach » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

Nice brow tines.....

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:58 am

If I were you Deanoz I would be putting a treestand up in that area and hunting it when the sign is hot!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 am

ORIGINAL: coach

looks like a sign post to me.
Which is more than a rub
A rub is done once or twice.
Sign post is repeatedly rubbed during the October to December.
They say if there's a sign post there this year....and that specific buck wasn't pressured too much...should be back next year.

That was the case when my cousing shot a nice 12 point.
Two years in a row...we had a sign post in a specific area.
We put a treestand approx 100 yards from the post.
Here is the result.  Now it may not be the same buck....but I think so.

You know coach I had not thought of that...I guess I'm still thinking "but deer do this at this time of year" and every time I say that I learn something new.  There is rumored to be a nice 10 point roaming that area and to my knowledge several were after him this past season but nobody got a shot.  So you can bet come the early fall I will be in that spot.  There is a stream not 20 yrds nearby and a patch of hardwoods another 50 meters away, and a fence line another 100 meters that creates a funnel of sorts in this area.  Good cover another 50 meters away so in truth he does not have to travel far.  I had map spotted it as such earlier in the season but never had a chance to look at it...so the pieces of the puzzle all fit.  Nice buck BTW coach, I hope this guy is at least that big.  I'll be putting the trail cam up there soon and looking harder for sheds.  Thanks for the feedback fellas...I'm having a Ted Nugent moment!!![:D]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah bucks will rub until they fall off, i tend to forget that too lol, i agree i would scout that area out one day some more and try to get a feel for what he or they are doing and where he/they are going/coming and set up accordingly and get outta there until when you want to hunt, (maybe set up a trail cam close by if you feel confident it wont spook em, if it is a signpost they shouldnt spook from it i don think) i havent been out to scout or do much lately, i miss it, im hoping to this weekend, but great find! And good luck finding any sheds and hopefully shooting him this season!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:46 am

Deanoz, those are some nice looking rubs!! looks like a good area to set up that tree saddle of yours[;)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign