Silver scent elimination clothing

smitty

Silver scent elimination clothing

Postby smitty » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:50 am

Im starting to see more and more about the Silver clothing.  I was thinking about getting some and was wondering what y'all thought.  It seems like it is super easy to care for and may be a little cheaper.  I understand, in regards to scent-loc and scent blocker, dont fix it if it anit broke.  But variety is the spice of life.  
"Freedom Isn't Free"

pahuntnut

RE: Silver scent elimination clothing

Postby pahuntnut » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:22 am

I use it on back country elk hunts were i may be days with out a shower. I feel it works, but the shirts last about two days then have to be washed. It has to be next to your skin to work. So buying jackets and outter pants will have no benifit. The silver has to come in contact with the moisture that causes odor.

I read one time that miners used to put a silver dollar in their jugs of milk to keep them from spoiling.

jlh42581

Postby jlh42581 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:52 am

I wear the silver as a baselayer under my scentlok

If you want a cheap solution that works... scent smoker... i use it on my non scentlok clothing. I wear wool when the temps really drop. Had deer down wind so many times its not even funny.

danowak

Postby danowak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:22 am

I hunt in the Big Cypress swamp in South Florida. Bow season is in September when temperatures range from lows in the high 70's to highs in the mid 90's. In addition to a rigorous scent control regimen, for the past 5 years I have also worn a silver impregnated base layer.

I do sweat a lot during the day, but when I take it off at night the silver clothing does not smell to me. In part that may be because they are made of synthetic material that also inhibits the growth of bacteria and does not retain moisture. I have seen a lot of deer down wind so I believe it helps, although it is only a part of a scent control program.

I have never used carbon clothing because it is much heavier (and hotter) than a base layer, so I can't compare the two.
Cogita Tute

USNavyChiefRet

Postby USNavyChiefRet » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:59 am

I don't know about the Silver, but I do know that Visa Endurance works. Last year I hunted with it as my baselayer and hunted for 5 days with no problems and it never started to smell. I could have hunted with it more and I don't think it would have smelled. I think the Silver is similar, it has to be next to your skin to be effective.
USNavyChiefRet

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:13 am

Where can I find this Silver Scent Control clothing or at least some information on it? I hunt in the South and need something that controls scent but is cool. All the carbon stuff seems too heavy especially with the fact I sweat pretty easily as compared to most. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in the cool seasons of the North and then live in the South as an adult!

JMJ

Postby JMJ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 am

I use the silver lining (xscent) under my scentlock but wash it after each outing in the early season if it's hot out. Coupled with rubber and/or scentlock boots it does a good job of keeping my treestand entry and exit trails. The xscent does a good job of body temperature regulation in warm and cold weather. I have found that no scent control clothing combination will defeat a deers nose. You still need to hunt according to wind direction or you will de detected. I rely on scent control clothing to mainly hide my entrance and exit routes so the deer can't pin down my stand location and then start avoiding that area. I have been using scent control clothing for 10 yrs and love it for what it does!!  

danowak

Postby danowak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Xscent is good, and Bass Pro EnduraSkin is also (it uses VisaEndurance which is a silver ion finish). For cold weather, Arctic Shield Xsystem also uses silver technology.
Cogita Tute

Ketch

Postby Ketch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 pm

I've got the Silver Max base layers and use my scent-lok camo over it when it's cool enough. I use the Primo's Silver scent eliminator line of products, they work great. Had 5 deer come in this morning all down wind and none of them acted like they smelled me. Maybe it was the morning thermals warming up and taking my scent above them, plus I was 25 feet up in a tree.

But, a friend of mine in the hunting industry told me that a researcher told him that carbon based clothing cannot be effectively re-activated unless under extreme temperatures...so extreme that they would burn up the clothing. A dryer obvioulsy doesn't get that hot...so not sure what to believe. Anyone else heard this about carbon based clothing?

Ralph

Postby Ralph » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:31 am

I agree with the fact that it's more important to not leave scent as you enter & exit the area. The silver might help in that respect...

Next

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators