2.5 year old???????

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
schlupis

RE: 2.5 year old???????

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:05 pm

OHhunter I think you made the right decision here I believe that deer is 2.5 yrs old I think he looks too small in the chest to be 3.5 Velvet also makes the rack look bigger. I think he just looks young to me. If your goal is 3.5 then I believe this deer should get a pass till next year. Besides judging from some of your other trail cam pics you have other for sure shooters on that property.

Good luck this season.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:49 am

I give him another year to be safe, and mybe he can correct the right side. 
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

bamadeerhunter4

Postby bamadeerhunter4 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:47 pm

I wish all I was concern about is should I shoot that deer . In albama he would get smoked . If a spike runs across it will sound like a dove hunt here . I think the deer is min 3.5 due 2 the sag between his front legs and bones on his head. But his face looks young and his ears look big compared too his head.I feel good when I let a basket 8 walk . I would love 2 let a deer like walk.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Its tough to say, with the sun coming up in the back ground, I cant get a real good look. Im going to say he's a 3.5, though I do believe you did the right thing by holding out if you think he's only a 2.5. He'd be a tough one for me to pass up thats for sure.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:21 am

Mostly definitely 2.5 years old. Neck hasn't even begun to fill out but look at shoulder area. That's still a young deer plus he's in velvet so the rack is deceiving.
The trophy is in the eye of the beholder but you also have to consider where you are hunting. In the mid-west, this deer deserves 2-3 more years. In the northeast he's a goner.

CB

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:23 am

ORIGINAL: CB on the run

Mostly definitely 2.5 years old. Neck hasn't even begun to fill out but look at shoulder area. That's still a young deer plus he's in velvet so the rack is deceiving.
The trophy is in the eye of the beholder but you also have to consider where you are hunting. In the mid-west, this deer deserves 2-3 more years. In the northeast he's a goner.

CB

Nothing personal, but I'm going to disagree with you re. a couple of points CB.

His neck has not begun to fill out because the photo was taken in July. Summer deer are hard to age.

Secondly, I think it is a bit bold to suggest that a deer "deserves" to live to 4.5 just because he is in the Mid-west. I do not know where you are from, but I suspect that you may be getting your impression of this region from television. We agree that the trophy is in the eye of the beholder, but by all realistic standards for small private and public land through most of the farm belt, a 3.5 (and ofetn a 2.5) is a great deer to shoot for.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 am

I take no offense JP, IMO that's what this forum is all about-different opinions.

I agree that in July he is not going to have the rut gorged neck but that neck is thin to begin with IMO(tough angle though) but most of my opinion is based on the shoulder area which doesn't appear to have the musclar look associated with a 3.5 yr old and that his body has the squared look instead of the rectangle. Additionally, his muzzle is thin and nose small for a 3yr old.
As far as whether or not I would shoot him: If I was on a hunt in the corn belt which means I would be paying, then no I would hold out for something larger. The buck to doe ratio is better than in numerous NE States where I have hunted. In VT, PA,NY & NJ he's a goner.
If you study the rack, he appears to be a 7 point with 3 descent tines on the left but no brow but 3 smallish tines on the right with a brow. Given the left ear I would say he's about 15" wide give or take which probably puts him somewhere in the 110" range gross.
So unless he's malnourished(doesn't appear so but anything's possible) I staying with 2.5 and that's my final answer. lol
You're right, I haven't hunted out west(mid-west is the target) yet but beyond reading(a pretty fare amount) I have several close associates that have and fairly extensively to which I have drawn upon. I would be holding out for something in the 135" or better class. You are absolutely right in knowning your particular hunting nook and there this might be a good buck. The biggest factor is that the orginal author is undecided so with that is mind I say let him walk.

CB

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:43 am

The biggest factor is that the orginal author is undecided so with that is mind I say let him walk.

Cool. On that we agree, at least for now. My take on the OP was that it was too close to call on the opening hunt and I think waiting was the right choice (given the desire to kill a 3.5). I suspect that he is a 3.5, but I would wait until I had another look or two at him.

Good exchange.

Oh yeah, I would also agree that if you are willing (and able) to spend the $$, you can come to the Mid-west and pay to hunt with an outfitter who can put you on a 4.5. Most of us who live here are hunting small farms or state land. We enjoy watching the Drury's just as much as you do, we just can't expect the same results on a regular basis.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 am

One question and one response.

How do you quote part of somelse's post? I have tried but so far unsuccessful. I highlight the part I want to quote, then hit the quote button and it transfers the whole post. What am I doing wrong?
Secondly, and more importantly, you(or anyone else) can have the Drury brothers. IMO they are way over rated and I just plain don't care for them. I am a Benoit fan. IMO anyone that can hunt where and how they do and often connect on a very good buck deserves much credit.

ps As far as $$$, I'm looking at Nebraska and a trespass/lodging costs only(besides license & transportation).

CB

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:54 am

One question and one response.

How do you quote part of somelse's post? I have tried but so far unsuccessful. I highlight the part I want to quote, then hit the quote button and it transfers the whole post. What am I doing wrong?
Secondly, and more importantly, you(or anyone else) can have the Drury brothers. IMO they are way over rated and I just plain don't care for them. I am a Benoit fan. IMO anyone that can hunt where and how they do and often connect on a very good buck deserves much credit.

ps As far as $$$, I'm looking at Nebraska and a trespass/lodging costs only(besides license & transportation).

CB

Part 1. Hit the "quote" option and simply delete the portion of the post you do not care to use.

Part 2. The refrence to the Drury's was a random refrence to a crew who hunts big bucks in the Mid-west. Not really meant to spark a debate about them. There are already threads going for that.

Part 3. Nebraska is an excellent choice. Very few large deer to be found in Iowa and No. Missouri.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management