any big bucks in in n.e. area of lower Mich.

wolf60

any big bucks in in n.e. area of lower Mich.

Postby wolf60 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:52 am

My friend and I have planned a trip to the northern part of lower Mich. We were wondering if there are many big bucks taken out of that area. We have scouted it out and have seen plenty of deer sign. I was just wondering if many big bucks are taken in that area. I guess it really doesn't matter. We will be deer hunting and camping and that alone will make it a great trip. Just curious about the big buck potential.Good luck to all the deer hunters and hunt safe.

HoneyHole

RE: any big bucks in in n.e. area of lower Mich.

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:47 am

Just remember if you're camping on state land, you need a camping permit. There are good deer taken out of that area, but there are tons more little "Michigan Bucks". When are you hunting? 

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:48 am

There are big bucks in Lower MI. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. Ya your going to see a ton of smaller bucks, but there not going to get bigger unless you pass them up. Its good to hear you guys did your homework and will be ready for the season, good luck to you and I hope you guys have a lot of fun!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 am

We will be camping on national forest land so we won't need any permits. We checked when we were up there a couple of weeks ago. I'll do my best to hold out until the last possible moment for a mature buck but I would really hate to end up eating a $138 tag.Who knows if I will be able to get back up there again this season. Good luck to all you hunters and hunt safe.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:37 am

$138? Are you from out of state? If so that still seems cheap for a tag....I thought they where a little more than that.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Nah,that's about right for a non-resident. Michigan hasn't been able to draw out of staters for years because all the residents used to shoot all the small ones. You need P&Y's to bring in outsiders.
WOLF- When will you be here? If  things work out, I'd like to meet you. It sounds like you plan on having fun. Brian

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:54 am

I hunt the same general area and some good bucks are taken out af the area but for every "big buck" taken there are it seems about 10 smaller ones taken, it's disappointing, but oh well, it's still fun to be out there and see some deer. Me and my buddy watched 12 does and a smaller 4 pt. buck near where we hunt the other day when we were setting up our spots for november, it was really cool, also heard about 4 more behind us in the woods that never came out. It was a lot of fun. Good luck hopefully you can fill your tag, i would want a good buck too, but $140 for a tag and to come back with nothing sure would be rough.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:23 am

Hey Honeyhole! My friend and I will be up there on Oct. 11. We hope to set up camp and put up at least one stand apiece before dark. We are getting older now. In the old days we would have put up at least two stands apiece on our arrival.We were up there scouting two weeks ago so we have a pretty good idea where we want to go first. As long as no one has beat us to our spots. We located a couple of different areas that looked decent but obviously some looked better than others. I hope to shoot a decent buck but if we are just seeing deer it will be fun. I have been bowhunting for 40 years so I don't have to take a deer everytime I go out.I just love finding new areas, scouting and hanging stands. Then there is the anticipation of what you might see.We are really looking foward to the hunt.I shot my very first deer in Mich.. It was a doe. I was thrilled. Because I live in Ohio, we have hunted lower Mich. in the past but the public land gets over hunted and the private land is hard to come by.[AS WE ALL KNOW] When I first started hunting Mich. the archery tag was $25. for a non-resident. I am retired and on a fixed income so I don't get out of state too often anymore.Oh, by the way, I took your advice about broadcasting where I might be hunting. Went back and did a little editing. Maybe we will see you up there. It would be nice to meet a fellow member. Catch you later. Frank    ps. We dont know where we are going to camp yet. We will be on national forest land so we can camp anywhere we can get far enough off the road. We saw several places that looked good but we don't like camping around alot of people. We will just have to see when we get there.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 am

I'll keep you in mind. There's a lot of stuff going on right now. I don't think I'll be hunting that weekend but I might be in Colorado filming a group. I'm still waiting to see. I had land about an hour east of where you'll be at and now a couple leases I have are just south east of you. Boy, I wish I could retire. Not old enough, but plenty tired. [:D] I'm loading the truck right now for opener. If you ever want to hunt an area with less pressure, think about da UP ayy. There aren't as may deer, but there is lots of land.

Return to Michigan