El cheapo ground hunting

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
Wolf River Hunter

El cheapo ground hunting

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 am

I don't have any ground kills to my name without a pop-up blind but I have had a few deer so close to me I could hear them breathing with my back-up bucket. I use a 5 gallon pail, old camo t-shirt, seat cushion, binoculars, $10 ground stake bow holder, and some pruning shears. Everything goes into the bucket. When I find a nice blowdown or patch of thick brush to set up against I empty out the bucket. The bucket gets turned over and the t-shirt goes over the top and then the seat cushion on top. Stake the bow holder down and use the shears to trim a little shooting lane and to add a little cover beneath my knees to break up the outline of my legs. The only problem I have is drawing the bow or else I would have 2 bucks to my credit. I always bring the packed 5 gallon bucket with me in my truck as a back-up in case my stands aren't going to work out.

huntinut

RE: El cheapo ground hunting

Postby huntinut » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:40 pm

I too like to hunt on a bucket, and also don't have any kills while sitting on one, but have been very close many times. It's a great option for me. sometimes I just don't feel like climing a tree, other times i might be running a little late to get to my stand so I just grab my bucket and head into the woods.In my opinion it's defintely the hardest way to bow hunt, but thats why I love bowhunting sooooo much. the challenge
dn

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:44 pm

If you think about it, ground hunting IS the least costly way to hunt) without a pop-up blind, for several reasons.

First, as you mentioned, there's minimal equipment. On the ground I hunt, I prepare dead fall trees for future makeshift "blinds" with pruning shears, a small folding saw, and some  black cable ties.

Secondly, you don't near as many high-tech $$$ clothes to keep you warm, because you are on the ground and protected from the worst of the wind. A layer of thermal undies, wool shirts/pants, and maybe a fleece or wool jacket will do me for all but the most frigid temps.

Third, you are extremely mobile so that you can change locations with ease should the wind change or you see a single doe looking "breedy" a hundred yards away and you want to maybe intercept the buck that might be following her. You'd have to have a small fortune in treestands set up to do this, not to mention that moving all that heavy gear you need to sit in a tree is a huge hassle.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Having a deer at the base of your treestand is nice and all but being face to face with one is kinda cool.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:55 pm

I like the bucket idea.  

After last year, facing a pretty little 4 point nose to nose at 5 feet...   I am not sure I will get the same satisfaction out of a treestand.   Well I will, I just love the hunt, but you betch'yer treestand I will be back out on the ground!

John
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking